Strategic Literacy Lead & Trainer – Freelance
Field Based (covering the Birmingham area)
The National Literacy Trust is a national charity dedicated to raising literacy levels in the UK. One person in six in the UK has poor literacy skills that impact on every area of their life. A child without good reading, writing and communication skills can’t succeed at school, and as an adult they could be locked out of the job market. Poverty doubles the likelihood that, by the age of five, a child’s literacy skills will be below average.
We work with secondary schools to improve support for literacy and ensure it is recognised as the vital skill set that underpins all areas of teaching and learning. Literacy for Life develops pupils’ subject specific vocabulary and ability to communicate effectively in all subjects. Following a successful pilot, we have secured funding to increase the number of schools taking part in direct programme delivery and engage even more schools with training developed through the programme.
We are currently looking for a freelance Strategic Literacy Lead & Trainer to join us and support the next phase of the Literacy for Life programme, working for up to 45 days over a 12 month period.
- Fee of £350 per day plus expenses
- Support the success of a programme that’s transforming lives through literacy
- Become a key member of a hard-working and skilled team
If you are a qualified teacher with significant teaching experience gained in the secondary phase, this is an amazing opportunity to take on a rewarding role with a leading charity.
We believe that the ability to communicate is a fundamental right and that society will only be fair when everyone has the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills they need to fulfil their potential.
You’ll have the chance to help us put literacy at the heart of secondary school improvement and enable students to develop the skills they need to succeed, both in school and in their future lives.
As the Strategic Literacy Lead & Trainer, you’ll manage the delivery and development of the Literacy for Life programme throughout the Birmingham area, increasing its reach and impact.
Specifically, you’ll co-ordinate the development of the programme across ten participating schools, deliver training and provide guidance to support schools’ success.
Additionally, you will:
- Complete initial reviews with each school joining the programme
- Support schools to embed the identified priorities within their school development plan
- Act as the key link between the schools involved in the programme and the National Literacy Trust
- Help to evaluate the progress and impact of the programme
- Deliver training to teachers on the literacy requirements of their subject area
- Contribute to the development of training materials
To join us as our Strategic Literacy Lead & Trainer, you will need:
- Significant teaching experience in the secondary phase, including a leadership role
- Experience of delivering training to groups outside of your own school
- Expertise in analysing data in the secondary phase
- To be a qualified teacher
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The closing date for applications is the 13th September 2019.
We’d like to hear from you if you’ve worked as a Teacher, Secondary School Teacher, Literacy Lead Teacher, Literacy Consultant, Literacy Adviser or Advisory Teacher.
The National Literacy Trust is committed to being an equal opportunities employer and aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, ethnicity or religion.
So, if you’re seeking a rewarding freelance role as a Strategic Literacy Lead & Trainer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.