We are looking for a Communications and Engagement Manager passionate about helping young people to engage in politics and get their voices heard, who will develop and implement a comms strategy that will help us grow our democratic engagement programmes and is to support our online presence, social media platforms and digital communications.
ABOUT THE POLITICS PROJECT
We specialise in digital democracy; supporting teachers, students and politicians to use digital tools to learn, teach and engage in politics, ensuring young people receive an outstanding political education.
We deliver a range of different programmes and activities that bring young people and politicians together to have meaningful conversations about important issues, where they can share perspectives and learn from each other.
We help teachers, politicians and students get the most out of each engagement and leave feeling informed, inspired, and empowered. Help us to build trust in politics and give young people a voice.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will be responsible for developing a communications strategy and creating content for our digital and traditional communication channels that will celebrate the impact and difference the work of The Politics Project has on democratic engagement by young people.
You will also manage and promote our Democracy Classroom platform. Democracy Classroom is an online hub and network that makes it easier for schools to navigate the support available from over 30 non-partisan democratic education organisations. Democracy Classroom now collates and offers to teachers and youth organisations hundreds of resources, training opportunities and events. By bringing all this information together, we help teachers and practitioners support young people to understand and engage in elections.
This is a fast-paced role in a small but growing team and an ideal opportunity for an individual who is passionate about digital communications and bringing together diverse stakeholders to collaborate.
The post holder will:
- Plan and deliver a creative and engaging communications strategy across all digital and traditional channels, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, email, our newsletter, etc.
- Work closely with the Director, Designer and Programme Managers/Coordinators to ensure there is high-quality, engaging content that promotes our programmes across online and traditional platforms.
- Use data analysis to evaluate the impact of strategy and individual pieces of content to inform the approach of future communication campaigns.
- Oversee the continual development of the Democracy Classroom hub and network.
- Support the Director and the Democracy Classroom Project Coordinator in managing and developing relationships with current and prospective partner organisations.
The job is based on a 10-month contract (including a 3-month probation period). The Politics Project is based in central London, though the post holder can work remotely. The hours of work are 3 days / 22.5 hrs per week. Occasional travel to elsewhere in the UK and working unsocial hours in evenings and at weekends may be required.
- 25 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays.
- Friendly and inclusive environment.
- Professional development opportunities, to upskill and train you.
- An auto-enrolment with pension scheme in line with Government guidance
- The opportunity to make a real difference to young people’s lives, helping them to develop the skills and knowledge they need to give them a voice in their society and shape their communities.
You will have a passion for democratic engagement and will use that passion to support the delivery and growth of the work of The Politics Project.
You will have outstanding project management and administrative skills, with the ability to work under pressure and identify priorities. You will effectively deliver against set targets to agreed deadlines.
You are a self-starter, comfortable setting their own pace of work and managing their deadlines with only some supervision. You can form good relationships with a range of people from different backgrounds and perspectives. You can negotiate, persuade, problem solve and be flexible to meet stakeholder needs.
Above all you will be a creative and experienced communications professional with a strategic approach to relationship management.
In accordance with our Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures, this position requires an enhanced DBS check that we will provide.
Skills & Experience:
- Experience leading or managing communications across an organisation including across digital channels and for PR activities to further organisational objectives.
- Experience of managing and delivering social media and digital communications to maximise reach and engagement.
- Ability to devise and create engaging content that articulates clear messages effectively to key audiences.
- A proven ability to build and develop relationships with a range of different stakeholders.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills enabling you to manage multiple priorities.
- Self-motivated and resilient – able to solve problems and perform under pressure.
- Excellent digital skills. Comfortable using Microsoft / Google office, social media CMS, Squarespace, InDesign and Canva.
- A passion for youth democratic engagement, education and politics.
To apply please submit a CV and provide a covering letter to explain your suitability for the role.
The closing date is 5pm on Wednesday 16th February 2022.
Initial interviews planned for the week beginning 21st February 2022.