We are looking for a Communications Coordinator with a strong passion and commitment to social and environmental justice to join our team. You will be an accomplished communicator able to convey the Rainforest Foundation UK’s unique approach to different audiences in a way that compels them to act. This is a unique opportunity to join an organisation working at the nexus of human rights and tropical forest protection.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Coordinator will be responsible for communicating our work to a range of stakeholders.
1. Strategy, planning and brand
- Implement RFUK’s media and communications strategy and work plan and responsible for delivering the relevant targets.
- Set out annual Communications and PR budget and monitor its expenditure.
- Ensure that all external and internal communications are consistent with RFUK’s brand guidelines and organisational messaging.
- Support the Programmes team to create quality content and publications, liaising with external design agencies and suppliers and disseminating these to identified target audiences.
- Ensure that written and image content of RFUK’s website and social media channels is fresh, engaging, accurate and up to date.
- Working with others, lead initiatives to increase traffic to RFUK’s website and social media platforms, monitor their use and make recommendations for improvement.
- Produce and disseminate fundraising and campaign materials, including supporter newsletters.
3. Press and PR
- Support public awareness of RFUK’s programmes, campaigns, partnerships and fundraising with appropriate media outreach, including writing content for press releases and other materials as and when required.
- Develop and maintain a press engagement strategy: analyse trends in press and media coverage and proactively identify and sell RFUK stories with media value, disseminating them and following up as appropriate.
- Cultivate new and foster existing relations with key contacts in the print, digital and audio-visual media.
- Maintaining RFUK media impact log and media distribution lists.
- Organise and manage RFUK’s audio-visual materials’ library including digital and printed images, film and video as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively to develop and maintain a bank of appropriate case stories, quotes and messages so that information disseminated to supporters remains new, fresh and motivating.
- Maintain distribution lists, ensuring GDPR compliance.
- With the Operations Manager, ensure effective internal communications including by providing weekly press summaries.
- Where necessary, support other staff through the provision of training in media and communications techniques.
- Recruit and manage volunteers to support media and communications as necessary.
- To carry out any other duties from time to time, as determined by the Executive Director.
- At least 4 years’ experience working in the charity sector, or similar environment
- Knowledge of how the media and journalists work
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to adapt styles to meet the needs of different audiences
- Knowledge of publications’ design and print production
- Social media savvy
- Able to manage external suppliers and agencies, ensuring value for money
- Proficient IT skills to include good knowledge of Desktop Publishing and online content management engine
- Education to degree level, or equivalent
- The motivation and ability to look for new ways of promoting RFUK’s work
- Ability to represent RFUK externally
- Visual literacy
- Proven ability to manage workloads and follow through projects from beginning to end
- Good understanding of environment/development/human rights issues
- Experience of working on advocacy/campaigns
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish
- Experience of working in a charity fundraising environment
- Proficiency in design software programmes and video editing
- Experience of day to day Press Office work
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Strong personal commitment to RFUK’s mission and to social and environmental justice in general
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – written and oral
- Cultural sensitivity
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise, make decisions, work autonomously and to tight deadlines
- An enthusiastic, flexible approach, with the ability to work co-operatively as part of a small team
- Personal integrity
SUMMARY, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The post is offered on a 2-year fixed term contract on a part-time basis with possibility of extension. The role will be subject to a 6-month probationary period. There may be a possibility for this role to evolve into a full-time position.
The post is based in our North London office. Flexible or remote working arrangements will be considered for exceptional candidates.
The starting salary is £35,525 pro rata.
Monthly salary is paid by Bank Automated Credit transfer, on the 25th of every month.
Holidays, sick pay and other benefits are provided in accordance with statutory requirements. 30 days paid leave per year are offered pro rata.
Workplace pension (4% employer contribution).
RFUK is an equal opportunities employer, and makes no discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, age, physical abilities, religious or sexual persuasion.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send your CV and with a cover letter of two pages maximum, explaining your motivation and providing concrete evidence of why you are suitable for the position. Please also specify where you saw the job advertisement.
The deadline for submission is 31 January 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
THE RAINFOREST FOUNDATION UK
The Rainforest Foundation UK (RFUK) is a non-profit organisation dedicated to supporting indigenous peoples and traditional populations of the world’s rainforests in their efforts to protect their environment and fulfil their rights to land, life and livelihood.