Location: Stratford, London
Section: Therapeutic Services London
Reports to: Group Coordinator
Time Commitment: 6 months commitment, 3 hours per week on a Monday (approximately 10:30am-1:30pm)
The Mother &Toddler group is a weekly psycho-social group with mothers and their children. The children’s ages range from infancy to 4 years old and on occasions older primary school age siblings may join us. It meets on Mondays from 10.30 to 13.30 at the Stratford Advice Arcade (E15 1HP). The focus is on the here and now, providing a relaxed and friendly social environment. No formal training is required for this role, but an interest in and enjoyment of young children is essential. The volunteer could be a man or a woman – the children may have little contact with men so there would be advantages in having a male presence.
What you will be doing:
- Assisting with setting up the room for the group and tidying up afterwards.
- Being an active member of the group and support its members by being present and engaged. This may involve playing with the children as well as engaging in conversation with mothers.
What we expect from you:
- To comply with all relevant Refugee Council policies and procedures.
- To engage with training and learn how to use our IT and client database.
- Adhere to the principles of equal opportunities.
- Adhere to clear boundaries.
What you gain from the role:
- Insight into the need for informal boundaries in running groups, the importance of consistency and commitment in providing such a service, aspects of child development and some ideas for promoting it, parenting skills as they arise, developing relationships with members over an extended period of time.
- Lunch expenses (up to £6) and travel costs (up to £10), original receipts to be provided.
- Support from the Group Coordinator and the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Opportunity to attend our professional training courses when possible, free of charge.
- Through sponsorship from the Marsh Trust, Refugee Council also provides volunteers with the opportunity to design and set-up a new service for new clients through a £500 award given out once per year.
Interviews to be held on Monday 17th January.