Purpose of the Role
This is an opportunity for the right person to join the Refugee Migrant Centre (RMC) as its first Head of Fundraising. RMC is an established, award winning, regional charity, renowned for its work with refugees and migrants. You will shape its future fundraising strategy and make a positive impact on the lives of refugees and migrants.
For over 23 years, RMC has assisted thousands of refugees and migrants from 162 countries. It has helped to remove the barriers to integration, helping its clients become equal citizens, using a whole-person approach to the delivery of services from specialist legal advice through to education and employment programmes.
The Head of Fundraising will join RMC at Senior Management level and will work closely with the CEO, Deputy CEO, Head of Services and other key managers. This is an exciting time to be joining the team, as RMC are strengthening and expanding its infrastructure following a period of growth in staff, activities and turnover (from £776k to £2.8 million in the last 5 years).
We are keen to hear from candidates currently working in senior fundraising roles for third-sector organisations, who would relish the opportunity to lead RMC’s fundraising to assist the plight of refugees and migrants.
You will lead fundraising at RMC, taking an established fundraising capacity and developing it further, to deliver the charity’s ambitious future strategy.
In particular you will:
• develop a sustainable fundraising strategy to underpin RMC’s strategic plans and deliver its goals working with the Senior Management Team. The strategy should aim to accelerate income growth in a sustainable manner, exploiting both a wide range of existing fundraising sources and new income opportunities.
• increase fundraising across the mix of income streams, including trusts and foundations, private donors, corporate funders and statutory agencies. For this purpose, you will take the lead in writing and submitting high quality applications to a range of funders, and you will oversee fundraising events and appeals, including individual giving and legacy opportunities. You will need to ensure compliance with best practice in fundraising including use of data and confidentiality
• create cohesive fundraising marketing and communications to support RMC’s wider Marketing & Communications strategy developing compelling communications targeted at different audiences.
• ensure effective measurement & evaluation, working with the Senior Management Team so that RMC’s impact measures are robust and can be effectively reported to funders.
• contribute to RMC’s overall strategic direction as an active member of the Senior Management Team and ensure that RMC’s fundraising efforts remain consistent with the charity’s strategic goals
You will be educated to at least degree level, have at least five years experience and a successful track record of delivering substantial results at a senior management level. You should be able to demonstrate skills and competency in the following areas:
Strategic thinking and analytical skills to:
• develop big-picture strategy, place strategy in the wider context and identify its opportunities and threats; and • quickly and proficiently absorb new information and data to draw insightful conclusions.
Strong planning and operational delivery to:
• translate strategy into deliverable operational plans;
• drive measurement & evaluation of core and programme activities;
• initiate new ideas but also adapt to existing processes and systems; and
• be well-organised, able to prioritise and have good attention to detail.
Sound financial acumen to:
• understand basic financial principles, accounting and budgeting; and
• be able to build, track, forecast and report against fundraising budgets.
Good communications skills to:
• represent RMC at high-level meetings with a broad range of stakeholders and funders;
• articulate complex ideas simply and effectively; and
• have excellent oral, written and presentational skills.
Collaborative team player who:
• works effectively with colleagues to establish positive working relationships;
• is flexible and can adjust to changing priorities; and
• has a strong work ethic, is calm under pressure and has a can-do attitude
Flexible working & benefits
RMC is committed to providing a positive and flexible working environment for its staff. The role of Head of Fundraising is a full-time, permanent contract with a six-month probationary period and a mix of home and office working. A four-day week or compressed week may also be considered.
You would be required to work from one of RMC’s centres located in Wolverhampton or Birmingham at least one day a week. You would also need to attend meetings in person with colleagues and funders as required.
Staff benefits include:
• 25 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays – annual leave increase with length of service
• 5% contribution to pension scheme
• Employee assistance programme/ physical and mental health wellness support
• Training and opportunities for advancement
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) outlining how your skills and experience match the main responsibilities and person specification to Pam Gill, Deputy CEO Candidates are welcome to have an informal conversation with us before applying. If you wish to do so, please e-mail
We will review applications on a rolling basis and contact you if you are shortlisted for interview, so please apply as soon as possible.
We are an equal opportunity employer, which means we will consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Other requirements of the role:
The successful applicant needs to have the right to work in the UK.
The post is subject to an enhanced check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS check).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.