How to apply
Public Engagement Officer
The Royal Society of Chemistry has strong links with the people teaching and practising chemistry in schools, colleges, universities and industry. As the biggest non-governmental investor in chemistry education in the UK, we accredit over 95 per cent of chemistry degrees in the UK and Ireland, we support over 300 small and medium sized companies in the chemical sciences and we are a powerful advocate for the chemical sciences at the government level influencing science, education and innovation policy.
Our global community spans hundreds of thousands of scientists, librarians, teachers, students, pupils and people who love chemistry. We connect our community by holding scientific conferences, symposia, workshops and webinars and we partner globally for the benefit of the chemical sciences.
Position: Public Engagement Officer
Location: Cambridge or London
Job type: Full Time, Fixed Term Maternity Cover
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: £29,779 to £33,088 (plus £3,974 London allowances if based at our London office) per annum
Benefits Excellent contributory pension scheme, generous paid holidays, 35-hour (for full-time staff) working week, learning and career development, subsidised staff restaurant (Cambridge office), staff sports and social club, free private healthcare plan, income protection scheme, critical illness insurance, life assurance, free on-site parking (Cambridge office), season ticket, car/motor cycle and cycle to work schemes, membership subscription, employee assistance programme, eye-care at work scheme, wellness initiatives, flexible work environment, employee recognition, long service awards, membership subscription to professional body and RSC, two discounted staff flats on-site (Cambridge office) and more.
Closing Date: 03 June 2019
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) has an opportunity for a Public Engagement Officer to lead on the delivery and evaluation of a programme of public engagement activities, to help us achieve our strategic goals.
As Public Engagement Officer for the RSC, you will seek opportunities to amplify our voice, through our community and through partners, on issues that help connect the public to chemistry.
In this fixed-term maternity cover role, you will help us to deliver and evaluate activities for the International Year of the Periodic Table in 2019, while also supporting existing public engagement initiatives. You will also develop and create opportunities to enhance our longer-term public engagement programme.
You can be based at either our Cambridge or London office, occasionally spending time at the other office, travelling within the UK and internationally and attending out of hours events. We can also accommodate slightly earlier or later start / finish times and some working from home, subject to business needs.
We are looking for:
- A degree level qualification in science or science communication, or equivalent experience is essential.
- Qualifications in a communications-related area or equivalent experience demonstrating a knowledge of communications or public engagement as a discipline.
- Evidence of commitment to Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
- Good project and time management skills are essential, including the ability to plan and prioritise work, and to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Experience delivering technical subjects to non-specialist audiences is desirable.
- Customer focussed approach with exemplary interpersonal skills (particularly verbal and written skills).
- Proven ability to work effectively without supervision and as a member of diverse teams.
- Excellent IT skills and abilities.
- A passion for the chemical sciences with a desire to promote and enable the positive impact of chemistry, and science generally, on social, political and economic issues.
- Creativity and the ability to generate ideas.
- Close attention to detail and high standards of excellence.
You may have experience of the following: Public Engagement Officer, Engagement Officer, Programme Manager, Programme Coordinator, Programme Management, Engagement Manager, Project Management, Communications Officer, Communications, Engagement, Engagement Programmes, Science, etc.