The Royal Society of Medicine is a leading provider of high-quality continuing postgraduate education and learning to the medical profession. Its mission is to advance health, through education and innovation. Independent and apolitical, the RSM also aims to actively encourage and support those who are entering medicine and healthcare.
Joining the Royal Society of Medicine’s Education team, the Programme Manager will lead the scoping, planning and delivery of a programme of education events and training courses. Reporting to the Head of Content, they will work with colleagues across the RSM’s Learning, Engagement and Support Services teams, leading the project lifecycle of a portfolio of high-profile conferences, lectures, training courses, and other learning opportunities. Their delivery will support the RSM Education Strategy which aims to modernise the content, delivery and scope of the RSM’s learning programme.
The Programme Manager will lead the execution of a programme of education events and training from conception, through delivery, to evaluation and feedback. They will be responsible for designing the content of the events, working closely with external partnership organisations and SMEs. The programme of these events and educational projects is rapidly evolving, alongside the core medical specialty events (300+) that the RSM delivers every year. They will work with the many medical experts within the RSM’s reach to create educational content that delivers measurable benefits for the RSM’s audience.
Key aspects of the role are: managing the delivery of a programme of work (end-to-end), researching and leading the business development of new types of training, responsibility for the financial management and operational delivery of education projects, leading matrix project teams to deliver, and collaborating with high-profile external partners, contributors and clients. They will also manage and coach a Programme Executive.
This role would suit an experienced and confident programme, event or publishing manager. They will have experience of successfully developing and delivering a programme of complex and high-profile events, and/or online learning content, for a (post-grad.) education or professional audience. The ability to manage multiple, multi-stakeholder projects simultaneously, with an agile approach, is an essential requirement of the role. The successful candidate will also be comfortable building collaborative relationships with external stakeholders, at every level, and throughout the RSM.
Key Result Areas
Programme and Project Management
- Responsible for the programme management of a slate of new projects to support delivery of the Education strategy for the division
- Lead the development stage of new education opportunities, working with partner organisations and external experts to scope the opportunity, then lead and manage a project team to execute plans
- Oversee the development of project plans, including developing detailed plans for project delivery (resource, financials, timings)
- Set strategic, financial and learning goals, and other measures of success, for each project
- Set up appropriate evaluation mechanisms to ensure each project reaches goals and lessons learnt are built in to forward programme
- Manage financial reporting to the Leadership team and forward-planning of the programme
- Lead on project management methodology and best practice for RSM Learning and disseminating this to colleagues in a learning environment.
- Act as “product owner” for each new project, driving activity across the organisation, and with external partners, to achieve project goals
- Close liaison with external experts, partner organisations, and clients on the development and delivery of education and training experiences; leading on planning from ideation stage
- Lead content design of individual events, working with the Content Manager to develop best-practice
- Oversight of all operational aspects of delivering events and training, collaborating with other departments such as catering, audio visual and the internal operations team
- Work with marketing colleagues to develop and drive the marketing activity for each event, leading outreach to relevant external organisations and contacts to develop the RSM’s market reach
- Manage budgets for individual events and the programme, to achieve/exceed targets and increase profitability
- Ensure financial reporting is accurate, timely and clearly communicated to senior management
- Select appropriate delivery format for education projects: face-to-face, online or blended learning
- Where applicable, for out of house delivery, lead on venue selection, contract negotiation and manage operations with external organisations
- Create SLAs and SOPs and ensure adhered to throughout projects.
Stakeholder and relationship management
- Research and cultivate relationships with relevant new contacts and external organisations to collaborate on shared goals and build partnership work
- Understand and drive delivery of new clients’ requirements
- Internal stakeholder management, including liaising with the RSM Senior Leadership team, and influencing and collaborating across departmental lines
- Liaise with high-profile contributors to the Education programme, including government ministers and senior leaders from across Medicine and Science
- Conduct market and customer research to understand learning requirements and competitive position
- Attend external conferences, events and meetings to build contacts and market awareness
- Understand and support all business development activity for the organisation, working alongside the leads in the Engagement team
- Work collaboratively with the Sections’ events team and programme managers, learning from and sharing best practice across the teams.
- Line manage a Programme Executive and supervise their workload
- Provide direction, support and coaching to direct report(s) including regular check-in meetings and performance reviews to ensure objectives and targets are met, as well as discuss development plans
- Adhere to policies and procedures to meet legal and moral obligations in respect of Charity Commission requirements.
- Support with any additional areas not specified which are linked with your job role
- Support wider team to deliver during exceptional periods due to absence and peaks of heavy workload
The post holder must at all times when conducting responsibilities and interacting with others:
- Uphold the vision, mission and values of the RSM
- Support effective communication and consistent management of RSM policies and procedures throughout the organisation
- Adhere to the Society’s Health and Safety regulations and ensure the safety of oneself and others engaged in the RSM premises and work by reporting hazards to a senior manager for address or taking actions (where possible) to remove safety hazards
- Adhere to the Society’s Data Protection regulations and only use data as required to undertake their role and handle it in an appropriate and confidential manner
- Fully subscribe to the spirit of and adhere to the Society’s people policies in particular the Discrimination, Bullying, Harassment, Victimisation policies
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable experience of creating, delivering and improving a programme of educational training or publishing
- Relationship building skills and substantial experience of stakeholder engagement, including high-profile individuals and partner organisations
- Track record of complex, multi-stakeholder project management, ideally with project management qualification or training
- Extensive experience of programme and content design
- Experience of leading matrix teams to deliver on projects
- Budget management and financial reporting experience; commercial awareness
- Experience of supervising others’ work and preferably of line managing staff, including performance management and coaching
- Customer and market research experience; can assess whether a new event or training opportunity is viable for the organisation
- Experience of online learning delivery is highly desirable
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; must be able to confidently approach and engage with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, presentational)
- Understanding of the health care sector, or of post-grad./CPD education provision is desirable
- Confident self-starter.
- Influencing and persuading others
- Project management
- Stakeholder and relationship management
- People management and leadership
- Creative, innovative
- Commercially focussed, business acumen
- Drive to deliver/commitment.
The Society is committed to the safeguarding and fair processing of information received from candidates applying for opportunities within it and fully complies with the spirit and regulations of the GDPR. For a full statement about the type of data that the Society keeps about job applicants and the purposes for which it is kept, please visit our website.