The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (RSTMH) are looking for a full-time new member of staff to cover a period of maternity leave of a minimum of nine months(tbc).
Digital Communications Manager (Maternity Cover)
Location: High Holborn, London
Term: Fixed term contract of minimum 9 months starting mid Jan 2020
Hours: Office working hours
This staff member will help develop and manage a high level of digital presence for RSTMH around tropical medicine and global health. We need a passionate and creative digital communicator who can play a key role in meeting our communications objectives in an exciting time for the society.
RSTMH is a membership society formed in 1907, with around 1,200 members in over 80 countries. We work to improve tropical medicine and global health by enabling and promoting research, sharing knowledge and convening networks through our members and beyond. The Digital Communications Manager will have the opportunity to develop and enhance the RSTMH’s reputation as a credible and trusted voice in tropical medicine and global health.
This is a wide-ranging and exciting role. You will implement the organisation’s digital communications strategy, ensuring it meets the aims of the wider RSTMH strategy.
You’ll maintain and further develop the website, social media platforms and newsletters, and also the content for each of these resources, using internal and externally sourced and commissioned content. You’ll also manage relationships with key suppliers, including website developers, digital media and creative agencies.
Working with the Chief Executive and RSTMH team, you’ll raise the profile and online presence of RSTMH that will also support the achievement of the organisation’s overall strategy and goals.
We’re looking for someone ambitious and solutions-focused with a passion for communications to deliver creative and innovative content. You’ll have the ability to engage people in the technical areas of our work as well as the nature of the context we’re seeking to improve. You’ll use analytical systems to monitor our progress.
- To manage the website and existing, and future, social media channels for RSTMH
- To source, write, edit and proof engaging and relevant content for the website, social media channels and newsletters, providing editorial support as required
- To commission content for the website and digital channels as required, from our networks, and externally
- To be responsible for online communications with RSTMH’s communities
- To keep on top of relevant tropical medicine and global health developments
- To help integrate our new website with a new CRM database, and other platforms, working with the Membership Manager and the team and supported by our website developers
- To take a keen interest in the global health challenges we’re addressing in order to help stimulate content and discussion among those involved in addressing these issues
- To propose ways RSTMH can improve its online content in line with digital trends and audience preferences
- To build relationships with peers in tropical medicine and global health, and those involved in tackling these problems - as developers of content and with relevant online media channels
- To be proactive in working with individuals from across RSTMH and our networks to generate diverse, compelling digital content that engages and informs our audiences
- Establish and maintain systems to report and evaluate RSTMH’s digital platforms and activities
- Assist with the promotion and management of RSTMH events and other activities to promote greater understanding of the organisation and its work amongst members
The person specification
- Working in international development or global health settings
- At least 5 years’ experience within a digital communication role
- At least 5 years’ experience of professional ownership of websites and social media for a campaign or cause
- Proven experience working in an editorial capacity with a varied portfolio of written work
- Proven experience of website and social media content creation, commissioning and management
- Knowledge of Drupal and the ability to take full responsibility for web development
- Experience of account management of suppliers
- Experience of creating compelling content
- Highly organised, with ability to self-plan and prioritise workloads
- Ability to communicate technical details to non-technical people
- An up to date knowledge and understanding of existing and emerging topics in global health and the impact of these on improving lives
- An understanding of current and emerging web technologies and social media trends
- A solid understanding of storytelling and how to create a compelling digital campaign
- Significant experience of developing and delivering digital communications projects
- Excellent oral, copywriting and communication skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including, communication, influencing and collaboration
- Ability to understand how digital communication works alongside traditional PR and marketing campaigns
- Effective decision-making skills
- Self-starter, able to work proactively
- Passion for tropical medicine and global health
- A good communicator of technical applications and concepts
- Ability to think ahead - anticipate and solve problems before they arise
- High degree of integrity and professional credibility
- Good team player, with an understanding of the challenges of working in a small team
- Resilience under pressure
- Flexibility to work outside of office hours, and to travel within the UK and beyond, as required
Closing date: 5pm on 29th November 2019
Interviews will take place in the first week of December, dates to be confirmed
Please click the 'Apply' button and attach your CV with a covering letter, addressing the person specification.
No agencies please.