About The Way Youth Zone
The Way Youth Zone is a youth-led, state of the art space for young people aged 8-19 (up to 25 with a disability) located centrally in the vibrant and diverse city of Wolverhampton.
Our story began back in 2012 when Wolverhampton City Council in partnership with local businesses teamed up with Onside to provide the young people of Wolverhampton access to a Youth Zone, and the benefits it can bring for the whole community. Championed by successful entrepreneur, Steve Morgan CBE, The Queen’s Trust and St James’s Place Foundation, this once-in-a-lifetime project is now a reality for the city’s young people since January 2016.
What can you expect?
The Chair provides leadership and direction to the Board of Trustees to enable the board to fulfil its responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, as well as oversight and scrutiny of the charity’s operations.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a new Chair to lead and support us in this exciting next phase of the Way’s development.
Our new Chair will bring their passion and commitment to the young people of Wolverhampton. If you are looking to empower young people and support them to raise their aspirations then you are the likely the perfect fit so please contact the TrusteeWorks team to find out more.
We are interested in an individual who brings the following:
- A real connection and passion for Wolverhampton
- Passion for the work of The Way Youth Zone
- Links with local networks and willingness to use it to help fundraise
- Characteristics which strengthen the diversity of the Board
- Ability to make the time commitment
- Governance experience and skills
- Entrepreneurial/business skills
- Relations with local stakeholders such as the Council and other key funders.
We welcome applications from all ages and backgrounds.
What’s on offer?
The role of Chair, is a stimulating and challenging role that will call on your strategic and interpersonal skills.
It provides an opportunity to work alongside an experienced and diverse team of trustees and senior management in a rapidly changing environment to make a real difference to the young people of Wolverhampton.
The role is not remunerated. However, reasonable expenses incurred in carrying out the role will be repaid.
- The Board meet 6 times a year for 2 hours in the evening
- Monthly catch ups with the Chief Executive
- Annual Board Development Day
- Supporting on at least one sub-committee (3/4 meetings a year)
- Offer support and perspective on emerging issues by joining task or finish groups, as required
- Represent The Way Youth Zone within the community including at events once or twice a year, getting to know our young people by joining them on a session
Reach TrusteeWorks are supporting The Way Youth Zone with their Chair recruitment.
Please send a CV and a cover letter in which you include why you are interested in the role and how your skills and experience would add value to The Way and send it via the Reach TrusteeWorks Team.
If you have any questions or require any assistance submitting your application please get in touch with the Reach TrusteeWorks team.
Closing date: 31 July
Interviews (1st round): 10 August
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.