Flexible working available. We are open to a wide range of locations and working patterns, please ask. We have a Central London office where we’ll need you to be at least once a month.
About the Centre
We are the UK’s national body for wellbeing evidence and practice aiming to improve wellbeing in the UK through the use of evidence. The Centre is an independent collaborative organisation working to understand what governments, business, communities and people can do to improve wellbeing using research, data, professional experience and trying things out.
- Our vision is of a future where the wellbeing of people and communities improves year on year and wellbeing inequalities are reduced. We believe that improving wellbeing is the ultimate objective of policy and community action.
- Our mission is to develop and share robust, accessible and useful evidence that governments, businesses, communities and people use to improve wellbeing across the UK.
Our approach is independent, evidence based, collaborative, practical, open and iterative.
About the role
We are looking for a values-driven communications leader and expert with a track record of developing and delivering communications strategies that make an impact. You’ll be motivated to join the Centre's mission to protect and improve wellbeing through better, evidence-informed policy and practice.
You’ll be managing a communications officer, and a number of freelancers who we work closely with to create awesome publications, digital products, and drive digital and media dissemination. The communications team is closely integrated with our evidence, implementation, and governance teams.
- Help us get louder about our impact. To enhance the impact of our major campaigns and social change projects through securing national and regional broadcast and print coverage, integrating digital mobilisation and social media into campaign strategy.
- Delivering high quality publications and products. To drive a step change in engagement through our weekly blog, research findings, social media, online learning, videos, digital hub, and so on to target audiences across public, private, and voluntary sectors.
Leadership and strategy
- Contribute to the development and delivery of strategy and priorities as a member of the senior leadership team.
- Lead the design and delivery of a communications strategy for internal and external audiences that delivers on mission and priorities.
- Strong understanding of collaboration and stakeholder engagement.
Identity and message
- Manage a compelling organisation identity and narrative, driven by an understanding of audience needs.
- Embed this identity and related messages and voices into communication with all partners including through press, website, and internal communications.
- Collaborate across the Centre on design and delivery of a high-quality communication strategy to engage target audiences for effective knowledge use.
- Support the evidence and implementation teams from start to finish to lead on communications planning, product management, and dissemination of a range of outputs for different Centre audiences.
- Enable, through the team, the delivery of high-quality communications support for dissemination and engagement activities including press, social media, creative content and digital mobilisation.
- Lead on the Centre’s learning, testing, and adapting communication processes, products, and channels in response to user analytics.
Project, finance, people management and teamwork
- Confident product and project management skills across a shifting portfolio of activities.
- Manage the communications budget and contribute to Centre business planning and monitoring.
- Line management and management of freelancers.
- Ability to work as part of a team and as a senior leader within it.
- Experience of communications areas including press and media, internal engagement, campaign and influencing, digital, public affairs, brand and reputation management.
- At least five years in a senior communications position developing and delivering communications strategy with impact and demonstrable results.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment, juggling competing demands.
- It is desirable that you have experience leading a communications function or team, especially in a small team with big impact.
Skills and knowledge
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing a website, ideally on a WordPress platform.
- Experience using digital analytics to understand and improve experience for users, e.g. Google analytics.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Ability to develop impactful and accurate messaging and narratives from different types of research.
- Knowledge of digital platforms and how they relate to engagement and outreach.
- At least a basic understanding of creative tools, such as Adobe CC.
- A strong desire for evidence-informed change to value wellbeing as a policy and practice outcome.
- Appetite for both strategic leadership and some hands-on delivery.
- Respect for a wide diversity of people, approaches, and perspectives.
- A strong team leader, adaptable and flexible in approach.
- Self-motivated and accountable.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.