Experienced trust fundraiser required for an interesting and fulfilling part-time role that also encompasses communications and assisting our Director with other duties.
We are a registered charity dedicated to providing mobility, learning and sensory impaired people of all ages with independent access to water-based activities such as nature watching, pleasure boating, powerboating and angling in our specially designed wheelchair accessible Wheelyboats. We don’t operate Wheelyboats ourselves, instead we help venues that are open to the public acquire Wheelyboats for the benefit of their disabled visitors and we help groups and organisations acquire Wheelyboats for their own use. So far we have supplied 200 Wheelyboats to projects on inshore waters, lochs, lakes, reservoirs, rivers and canals all over the UK. As far as we know there is no other charity designing, building, funding and supplying this type of craft anywhere in Europe.
Our most important and time consuming role is fundraising to support individual Wheelyboat projects. Wheelyboats are unique and expensive items of equipment that we design ourselves and have built to order. Raising funds to discount their cost has been our policy from the outset and helps ensure that Wheelyboat supply and availability is maximised across the UK.
- Fundraising: Reporting to the Director, our only other employee, you will be responsible for raising funds to support individual Wheelyboat projects and towards the day-to-day running costs of the Trust. Grant-making trusts are our principal sources of income although some support is received from individual donors arising from an annual fundraising lunch. As such you will need to be an experienced fundraiser with an excellent track record of developing and maintaining fruitful relationships with trusts and individuals. You will need to liaise with Wheelyboat operators (often charities themselves) working with them to bring in the funds for their project. You will need to be able to deliver on budgeted targets, especially for day-to-day running costs.
- You will have plenty of scope to develop your role as we are keen to maximise our fundraising potential including corporate donations, major donors, social media campaigns, crowdfunding, etc.
- Communications: You will help develop our social media presence and output to increase general awareness in Wheelyboats and the work of the Trust, generate more enquiries from potential operators and Wheelyboat users, promote Wheelyboat projects and other appeals, increase donations and support the Trust’s PR strategy.
- Other duties: Deputising in the Director’s absence; organising the filing of paper records; taking minutes at Board meetings; maintain the postal and email mailing lists; assisting at shows and other events
Terms of employment
This is a part-time post up to 30 hours per week initially with potential for full-time. We are keen to attract the right person for this job so working hours and salary are negotiable. Salary guide is £26,000 pa FTE. Statutory pension contributions apply.
The post is a permanent one subject to a six month probationary period. It can be home-based with some working from the Trust’s office which is located at the Director’s home near Petworth, West Sussex. Some travel will be necessary, e.g. shows and events, including extended hours and occasional weekend working with time off in lieu.
Annual holiday entitlement 20 days per annum plus bank holidays.
- Essential: Fundraiser with broad experience and proven track record in grant-making trusts; excellent verbal and written communications; well organised, self-disciplined and motivated; computer literate – MS Office; office managerial and admin experience; own transport
- Desirable: Social media; comfortable speaking in public; website admin; interest in boating/sailing/angling; prepared to roll sleeves up helping set show stand up, load and unload car/trailer, etc
Please apply with your CV and a covering letter. The closing date is 8 September. Early applications are encouraged and for suitable candidates the interview process will commence before the closing date.