Theirworld is an influential global charity aiming to end the global education crisis and unleash the potential of the next generation. We work to ensure that every child has the best start in life, a safe place to learn, and skills for the future. To achieve this, we are tackling the lack of political will, financial commitment and action that is currently preventing the realisation of inclusive, quality education for all children. We bring together experience and evidence from our research and projects alongside the passion and power of our campaigns and communications to unlock the big, transformational changes needed to end the global education crisis.
We have existed since 2002, and we are currently going through an exciting period of growth and transformation - assembling a world-class team of campaigners, communicators, researchers, advocates and project managers with the skills, commitment to our mission, and strong team spirit and creative energy to turn the organisation’s vision into reality.
About the role
One of these critical new hires is a Senior Youth Engagement Manager. We are looking for a strong, experienced youth engagement expert who will play a leading role in managing our Global Youth Ambassador (GYA) program.
The GYA program is a network of incredible youth campaigners (18-29 years old) from across the world who are working together to campaign for the delivery of Sustainable Development Goal 4 – inclusive and equitable quality education for all – by 2030. The program focuses on, supporting networking and connections between GYAs, providing training and skills development, and facilitating exciting and impactful campaigning opportunities.
In 2020, we want to invest in scaling-up this program to make it the absolute go-to network for youth campaigners who want to be at the forefront of the future of education and for this to help create a transformational youth movement for education. Such a powerful youth movement for education is so critically needed right now to pressure decision-makers to prioritise and fund education at the levels required to end the global education crisis. This investment in 2020 will involve further expanding the size of the network and investing in improved tools and approaches to offer greater training and campaigning opportunities for GYAs. This role will lead on turning that strategic vision into reality – you will be an inspiring leader who understands how to develop and maintain a first-class global youth engagement campaigning program and be able to translate strategic objectives into practical plans and execute those plans effectively.
The Senior Youth Engagement Manager will report to the Director of Policy, Advocacy and Programs and be based in our London office, with occasional domestic and international travel as required.
● Translate the 2020 strategic goal and objectives for the GYA program into clear, realistic project plans and lead on the delivery of those plans and contribute to setting the strategic direction for this program from 2021 onwards.
● Identify and monitor trends and opportunities in youth-led development and campaigning and incorporate these into the program.
● Develop and deliver plans to publicise the GYA network to attract more applications from exciting youth campaigners to further expand the network.
● Organise and lead the delivery of campaigns and advocacy in-person and online training sessions for GYAs (based on our new training toolkit that is currently being developed).
● Develop and deliver interesting and relevant communications with our GYAs (e.g. newsletter, posts in the online community etc.) to help inform and engage the GYAs on key topics related to global education and Theirworld’s advocacy goals.
● Work closely with our communications team to effectively profile and engage GYAs in Theirworld’s external communications.
● Work closely with our Campaigns and Advocacy Managers to create and facilitate opportunities for GYAs to engage in (and create their own) campaign activities (both remote/online and attendance at high-level events such as the UN General Assembly).
● Work closely with the Director of Policy, Advocacy and Programs to create and implement an internal structure for the GYA program to enable simple tiers of engagement to balance the demands of a large network and for opportunities for deeper levels of engagement and impact from some of our GYAs.
● Oversee the effective delivery and maintenance of administrative processes to review GYA applications and GYA databases and line manage the Project Assistant for the GYA team.
● Monitor, flag and support swift and effective responses to any safeguarding issues affecting our GYAs (in close collaboration and under overall guidance of our Safeguarding Lead).
● Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience, skills and character
You should have:
● At least 5-7 years’ experience working in youth engagement – ideally related to international development and campaigning.
● Strong passion for ending the global education crisis and knowledge of the different stakeholders and processes involved in this sector.
● Strong track-record of working in public affairs, developing and delivering successful political influencing strategies to achieve results.
● Excellent project and team management skills and ability to contribute to setting a strategic vision and objectives and turning these into reality.
● Excellent experience of organising and facilitating training for youth campaigners and supporting youth campaigners to engage in campaign actions (including high-level events).
● Senior level writing and communication skills (both internal and external).
● A collaborative, hands-on attitude and team player approach.
● A problem-solving mindset and ability to take initiative and think outside the box.
● Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills with good attention to detail, ability work under pressure and to deadlines, and generally to have a high bar for quality in your own work as well as your colleagues.
● A commitment to Theirworld’s aims and a clear understanding of the contribution that campaigning can make to achieve our mission and how it can best link with other parts of the organisation’s work.
● Potential advantage if you have fluency in another language than English, but not a requirement.
Apply for this role
Please submit your CV and a covering email including the name of the role of interest in the subject line of your email.
Applications will continue to be received until the post is filled.