Job Description: Director of Finance and Operations
Chief Executive Officer
£60,000 - £65.000 per annum gross
Project Financial Accountant, Finance Officer, HR and Operations Coordinator
Full Time – 37.5 hours per week
1 Wimpole Street, London, W1G 0AE
Length of contract
About the Role
THET is looking for a Director of Finance and Operations to join our Senior Management Team ideally starting on or before March 1st 2020. You will be joining THET at a very exciting time of growth for the charity. This follows a period of intense and successful effort to diversify our income and secure new contracts.
The role is ideal for a person who relishes the opportunity to work in a friendly, innovative, medium-sized charity which occupies a very distinctive place at the interface between the NHS and health services across Africa and Asia. It is vital that you have experience of working in an international charity at a senior level.
THET has country offices in Ethiopia, Myanmar, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda and Somalia/Somaliland. Our team in the UK office is composed of Programmes, Grants, Communications and External Engagement and Policy and Learning teams as well as Finance, and Operations.
You will lead a small team and play an important role in the leadership of the charity, combining an ability to operate strategically with a willingness to get stuck in to detail when necessary. The team is a busy and multi-functional team focussed on providing the best quality support for the organisation. The successful candidate will have the chance to have a profound impact on a fast-paced organisation. The post holder will be a member of the Senior Management Team working alongside the CEO and the Director of Programmes and closely with the Treasurer on the Board of Trustees, members of the Finance, Risk and Governance Committee, and the volunteer Company Secretary.
Today, one billion people will never see a qualified health worker in their lives.
Since 1988, THET has been working to change this. From reducing maternal deaths in Uganda to improving the quality of hospital care for injured children in Myanmar, we work to strengthen local health systems and build a healthier future for all.
We do this by leveraging the expertise and energy of the UK health community, supporting Health Partnerships between NHS institutions, Royal Colleges and academic institutions in the UK and those overseas.
In the past ten years THET has reached over 100,000 health workers across 31 countries in Africa, the Middle East and Asia in partnership with over 130 UK institutions.
In 2018, the charity had a turnover of £5m and employed 30 staff across six offices. From 2020 onwards, our turnover will be £8m a year.
You can learn more about our work on THET website.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform any of the following tasks:
- Form a close working relationship with the Chief Executive and Director of Programmes, other members of SMT including overseas Country Managers and Trustees;
- Direct and control finance staff to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and developed and so that they carry out their responsibilities to the required standard;
- Contribute to the achievement of the charity's business objectives by providing advice and guidance on the financing strategy;
- Develop and control the charity’s annual operating budget to ensure that all financial targets are met and that THET complies with financial and statutory regulations;
- Provide financial advice and guidance to the charity's managers and staff to enable them to achieve their objectives;
- Oversee the preparation of the charity's financial accounts to ensure that these are presented accurately and on time;
- Develop and implement an internal audit programme to ensure that the charity complies with financial procedures and regulations;
- Develop and maintain all necessary systems, policies and procedures to ensure effective and efficient financial management within the charity;
- Monitor external contracts and services provided by suppliers to ensure that these are operating effectively and provide the best value to the charity;
- Carry out all necessary actions to ensure that the charity meets its financial and legal obligations.
- Ensure that the human resources and staff development policies are updated and implemented in keeping with employment law and good practice;
- Maintain HR files and staff records, and ensure that managers fulfil their line management responsibilities;
- Have oversight of the recruitment process for, and induction of, new employees;
- Work with managers to ensure that staff training needs are identified and met;
- Take the lead on, or where relevant, support the Chief Executive and other managers in the implementation of HR policy, appraisals, disciplinary processes and restructures.
IT & Office Facilities
- Maintain health and safety, IT, data protection and building management systems to ensure THET is compliant with current legislation and best practice;
- Manage service contracts including HR and legal advice, IT and finance support;
- Any other appropriate duties to ensure the efficient operation of THET.
Conditions of Employment
Hours: Full-time – 37.5 hours per week - 09.00 – 17.30 Mon – Fri
Leave: 25 days annual leave, plus 3 additional days between Christmas & New Year
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter explaining precisely how you satisfy the person specification on or before midnight on Sunday 29th December 2019.
Closing Date: Sunday 29th December 2019.
Interviews to be held: 15th January 2019.
For more information regarding this position, please contact Sue Louise - interim Head of Finance. The contact details are provided in the attached job description.
This post is UK based. Non-EC nationals will require current and valid permission to work in the UK
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.