Do you want to help build a world where everyone feels part of a community? Are you a highly motivated, professional individual with experience of working with volunteers and motivating vulnerable adults? We're seeking someone to bring their skills, knowledge and positive values to participate in a new project, tackling loneliness by pairing local people with a shared interest in sport and leisure. We will introduce enthusiastic volunteers to isolated adults in their neighbourhood, in order to visit and build a lasting friendship whilst encouraging each other to take part in local sporting activities.
What we do
At Time & Talents, we create fun, friendship, and mutual support, to create a world where everyone feels part of a community. We work with people of all ages in a lively, creative and supportive centre, running activity programmes for children and families, older people and adults, and offer additional support to those with physical and mental health issues in accessing our programmes. Last year, we worked with around 5000 people of all ages in the wider community, from two unique venues in north Southwark – in Rotherhithe and Canada Water (SE16).
In this role, you’ll
- Design, develop and lead a new befriending project based upon the power of sport to motivate and bring people together.
- Recruit, induct and train a range of local, enthusiastic volunteers with a passion for sport and fitness.
- Promote this unique new offer in the borough to partner VCS organisations, local health and social care teams and the public in order to identify and attract isolated, local adults who could benefit.
- Assess individuals to establish a set of interests, goals and risks involved in providing them with a befriending volunteer and participate in new activities.
- Pair and introduce volunteer befrienders and beneficiaries taking account of personality, ability and interest matches.
- Supervise and oversee each pairing, ensuring volunteers feel supported and have the resources they need for progress to be made.
- Ensure a thorough and diverse knowledge of local sport and leisure opportunities to provide befriending teams with ideas and suggestions for their planned activities. Offer signposting and advice to other T&T members looking for local sports opportunities.
- Coordinate with partner organisations and individuals to ensure a range of exercise sessions are available through T&T or in the neighbourhood. Develop and support volunteer-led or peer support group activities within T&T to increase our sporting offer.
- Organise an annual sports day to provide befriending teams an opportunity to come together, play and demonstrate their progress.
- Be a part of the day to day life of a lively, busy community centre where no two days are the same!
You will have experience of working with volunteers and the mental health services, as well as organising peer support groups for vulnerable populations. You have a demonstrable passion for sports and leisure, working in a community setting and providing opportunities for people with a wide range of needs and abilities. You’ll be adept at building trusting and appropriate relationships with individuals from all backgrounds, as well as knowledge of motivational and health coaching techniques. You have a good understanding of Adult and Child Safeguarding, as well as wider Health and Social care practices. A strong and empathetic communication ability is essential, as well as the ability to multi-task and balance lots of sources of information well at the same time.
Based in the tranquil oasis of a beautiful old mortuary – nicer than it sounds! - and surrounded by mature gardens, you’ll work with an energetic, experienced, and passionate Time & Talents team of 17, with a lively sense of humour. You’ll have the chance to make a big contribution to a growing, ambitious organisation which has doubled its reach and impact over the last three years.
Participation in evening and/or weekend events, networking and meetings.
Ensuring adherence to necessary legislation, e.g. GDPR, Health and Safety Act at Work, etc.
If you'd like to come join us, apply now - we can't wait to hear from you! The closing date is 23:59 on 12th November 2019. However, we’ll be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible.
TO APPLY: Send a CV and a cover letter of no more than one page, explaining why you want the job, and how your experience relates to the job description and person specification.
IMPORTANT: We will use covering letters to assess applications alongside CVs. Please ensure you take the time to include a well-written covering letter as detailed above. We won’t assess applications without one.
Posted on: 16th October 2019
Closing date: 12th November 2019