Tipping Point is looking for a technology specialist to join our team and lead the development of our free Tech Hub which puts a powerful set of digital distributed organising tools at the disposal of grassroots climate groups and networks who need them.
Starting Date: May/June 2021
Contract: 2 days (14 hours) a week (flexi time) with scope to increase hours based on funding.
Compensation: £145 – £162 day rate
Location: Remote working from anywhere in the UK. Occasional UK travel required (once possible)
Application deadline: 9am Monday 24th May 2021.
Tipping Point is looking for a technology specialist to join our team and lead the development of our free Tech Hub which puts a powerful set of digital distributed organising tools at the disposal of grassroots groups and networks who need them.
Tipping Point’s mission is to support, grow, train and strategise with more diverse networks to empower millions of new people to join grassroots groups in bold and sustained action for climate justice.
Our team of freelancers works remotely and flexibly using Slack, Zoom, Google Drive and other online platforms to work together collaboratively and efficiently.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small new team and use your skills and passion to ensure organisers and groups are trained and set up to absorb large influxes of new supporters, and build transformative grassroots power.
Tipping Point particularly encourages applications from people from ethnic minority backgrounds, trans people, queer people, people with disabilities and people with caring responsibilities and other groups typically under-represented in campaigning organisations. We encourage everyone to read our Organising Principles before applying.
About Tipping Point
Tipping Point has just launched in the UK.
We bring people from all walks of life and grassroots groups together to understand and use their power to grow the climate movement’s scale, diversity and power. Together we’re building unstoppable momentum for an end to fossil fuels and for systemic changes in our society and economy.
Creative, sustained and escalating actions are the lifeblood of any movement – they’re how we translate our organising efforts into real power and influence over decision-makers and how we educate, inspire and recruit new members to grow our movement’s power.
We believe in the transformative power of action that deepens participants’ engagement, political knowledge, leadership skills and commitment long-term, enabling people to see small or local wins building towards a bigger shared network or movement goal.
We train and support grassroots groups to build their community leadership, digital skills, open structures and welcoming culture to inspire and absorb large new bases of supporters in ‘moments of the whirlwind’. By frontloading this DNA with grassroots networks and providing powerful tech tools we empower groups to take creative action, tell engaging stories and frame popular demands that enable thousands or millions of people to join the movement with ease.
We are all freelance workers and are responsible for our own income tax and national insurance.
As an intentionally small and flexible new team, we have adopted a TEAL-style model of self-management, accountability and transparency that recognises wholeness and collective care.
About the role
You will be supporting key organisers to have free shared access to online training
platforms, design software and a cutting-edge toolkit powered by ActionNetwork and
Twilio tech for distributed online action, events, communication and mobilisation.
You will join our flat structure working with two other team members on supporting grassroots campaigner to set up and develop the Tech Hub. In this newly created role you will be responsible for key elements of the organisation’s work, as well as, collaborating on collective work within the team.
- Act as our digital expert, and be able to collaborate with and advise on digital development where required
- Helping us create a set of tools that grassroots campaigners can use to grow powerful movements
- Training and supporting grassroots groups as they set up and manage their local digital campaign infrastructure i.e. CRM, action tools, websites
- Development of innovative new campaign tools
- Basic Web development (WordPress experience a plus)
We are looking for someone who has:
- 3+ years digital project or product management experience, including management of a website.
- Experience of managing contact management systems
- Ability to confidently simplify complex digital topics to engage and collaborate with non-experts.
- A willingness to learn new things, and an aptitude for technology
- Experience of grassroots campaigning or community organising
- A deep understanding of the nature of oppression and how it manifests in society and a commitment to collective liberation and challenging inequality.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the confidence and tact to interact with all grass-roots campaigners from a variety of backgrounds
- Comfortable working autonomously and independently, using own self-initiative
Desirable experience and abilities:
- Experience with any modern CMS or data platform, e.g. Action Network, Salesforce or Nation Builder Experience of building or supporting a network in organising and running distributed campaigns
- Experience of automating repetitive tasks to maximise operational efficiency using tools such as Zapier
- Experience of supporting any of the following G Suite, Twilio contact centre or ControlShift Tools.
How to apply
Application deadline: 9am Monday 24th May 2021.
Please complete this application form where you can submit:
A cover letter (1000 words max) explaining your relevant experience and skills and why you want this role
We also ask all candidates to complete a separate, anonymous Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Form
The candidate must reside in the UK and have permission to work in the UK
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.