TPP are proud to be working with a charity that inspires hundreds of thousands of 14 to 24-year olds, from all backgrounds and circumstances, to build life-long belief in themselves.
This charity help young people build life-long belief in themselves, supports them to take on their own challenges, follow their passions, and discover talents they never knew they had.
Are you passionate about helping to build meaningful partnerships with a wide range of organisations to help young people thrive in a rapidly changing world this could be the right opportunity for you.
The purpose of this role: To provide oversight of the governance support function and to support the Audit and Investment Committee and Risk Programme Board in their management oversight of risks. Strengthen the governance support and risk management functions on an enduring basis.
Some of the Key accountabilities:
On the governance side of the role:
- Provide a governance support service that achieves a consistent standard for Board of Trustees meetings and its sub committees. But also, across all Programme Board meetings: One Team, Sustainable , IT Strategy, Risk Management and Centenary.
- Support the Board of Trustees in recruiting and training an effective pool of trustees to do its governance functions. This includes declarations of interest, code of conduct, trustee recruitment and trustee skills audits. The key accountability is to the Chair of the Board of Trustees on this.
- Support the governance relationship with the International Award Foundation
- Work effectively with any Board of Trustees appointees who are governance consultants, or legal firms handling changes to governance contracts.
On the risk side of the role:
- Accountable for collating the Risk Register and ensuring risk owners update it on a timely basis (in time for A&I Committee or Risk Board meetings).
- Responsible for the design and maintenance of the risk register and use of risk registers & assessments for projects and major events e.g. the Centenary celebrations.
- Accountable for collating the list of emerging risks to bring to risk governance meetings for review.
- Working with Regional and Home Country Directors and their teams to improve risk management practices.
Someone who understands the UK-wide charity sector and the need to achieve effective governance support in ways that allow governance meeting participants to concentrate on the content of papers and decisions to be made, not have to dwell on:
- whether governance practices are out of step with Charity Commission and Companies House required practice,
- trustee recruitment and induction issues,
- trustee skills balance, including excellent chairing,
- what a committee's terms of reference are,
- meeting date scheduling & agendas, or timely collation and circulation of all meeting papers
Experience and knowledge
- A deep experience is evidenced in either governance support/company secretariat, or risk management in a UK Not for Profit setting.
- 'Deep experience' on the governance side would include serving as a company secretary, working with governance consultants and constitutional solicitors on Not for Profit governance issues, and/ or providing a governance support service to a charity for a number of years.
- 'Deep experience' on the risk management side would include performing risk assessments, working with insurance brokers on claims and insurance renewals, potentially working with forensic auditors, having experience of business continuity exercises and working with a diverse group of risk owners for an extended period.
- Knowledge of Charity Commission and Companies House governance requirements for UK charities with a company subsidiary.
If you would like to find out more about this fantastic opportunity please get in touch!