About the role
As Hosting Project Leader, you'll act as the maître' d of the team, running your project's front of house and helping to create a warm, friendly atmosphere that will make both volunteers and guests want to return each week. Your team of volunteers will lay the tables, greet guests and serve the food - all under your guidance!
Week in, week out we nourish the hungry and lonely in our communities with delicious meals and great conversation, using food which would otherwise go to waste.
FoodCycle aims to:
- Connect communities
- Support mental health and wellbeing
- Nourish the hungry
- Promote sustainability
- Inspire change
A FoodCycle project is where the magic happens. Each Project is run on the ground by a team of 8 or more lead volunteers called Project Leaders, with each leader taking on a specific role to ensure the smooth running of their FoodCycle Project. These people are passionate, committed and want to make a positive change within their community. They take ownership and make decisions about the day-to-day running of their Project.
Skills you'll learn
- Teamwork: you'll work as part of a team to prepare a delicious meal and serve it to our guests.
- Hosting: you'll lead on 'front of house' duties, coordinating a team of hosting volunteers and making sure all our guests feel equally welcome.
- Leadership: we'll train you up to lead hosting sessions and how to induct new volunteers into the front of house.
- Safeguarding: you'll learn how to ensure that the safety of our guest and volunteers is always maintained and everyone acts within the correct boundaries.
- Relationship building: you'll be building lasting relationships with your guests and volunteers, ensuring they come back each week.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing, regular visits, support and advice from your Regional Manager.
- A training conference to equip you for your role. Travel, accommodation and food cost covered by FoodCycle.
- Expenses covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Training throughout the year from FoodCycle, including safeguarding and first aid.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- Accredited level two food safety qualification provided by FoodCycle.
- The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people.
- A fun, creative volunteer experience with ownership over a community led project.
What's expected from me
We ask that Project Leaders stay with us for a minimum of 6 months, to enable them to get the most out of the role. As Hosting Leader, you will be expected to:
- Attend regular Project Leader meetings to discuss as a team how things are going.
- Lead a minimum of one session per month
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures
- Complete an enhanced DBS check (required for all roles involving 'regulated activity')
- Complete Level 2 Food Safety, Food Allergens and Safeguarding training
- Complete the session project report on our website after leading a session
The suggested minimum time commitment to your role is 8 hours a month.
Please go to to fill out our online application form.