Defence and Security Programme Director
- Full time: 35 hrs per week
- Salary: £63,000 – 66,189 per annum
- Location: Central London office, with opportunity for blended working
Transparency International (TI) is the world’s leading independent anti-corruption organisation. We work globally towards ensuring a world where people’s lives, government, business and society are free from corruption. A world where, the health of our institutions is enhanced so they can better support the people they are intended for; a world where we can trust the integrity of those in authority and in business, and a world where there is no impunity for the corrupt.
Transparency International – Defence & Security (TI-DS) is one of TI’s global programmes and is committed to tackling corruption in the global defence and security sector. Located in London and hosted by Transparency International’s UK chapter, the programme works with defence institutions, governments, defence industry, civil society and international organisations worldwide to strengthen transparency, accountability and oversight systems in a traditionally opaque and secretive sector. We contribute to broad-based coalitions and collective action working with reform-minded actors to bring about change.
Our strategic objectives are:
1. To mitigate corruption risks in the defence and security sector
2. To reduce the role of corruption that impacts the defence and security sector as a factor contributing to conflict, insecurity and crises
3. To improve the integrity of private sector defence and security actors
4. To mitigate critical corruption risk factors in arms control regimes
About you and the role
As Defence & Security Programme Director you will be responsible for the effective strategic planning, management and delivery of the Defence & Security Global Thematic Network Initiative. You will be responsible for ensuring the programme meets the strategic purpose that defence and security institutions are accountable to their publics and subject to civilian democratic control and oversight and that corruption risks are reduced.
Some of the key areas of responsibility will include:
- Design, roll out and track progress of strategic goals objectives and priorities for the programme. Establish strategic networks and actively seek out opportunities to grow and raise the profile of the programme
- Maintain close operational oversight over project management and delivery to ensure projects and workstreams are effectively planned and executed, within agreed budgets and timeframes and meeting donor requirements.
- Guide the formulation of the Programme’s policy positions and oversee high quality advocacy. Provide intellectual leadership for the Programme, ensuring that research outputs are of the highest quality and maintain a reputation for objectivity and independence
- Manage the Programme’s finances within agreed budgets
- Create an annual business plan in line with TI-UK’s overall strategy and the strategic objectives of the TI movement providing regular updates on progress for the SLT / Board
- Ensure that the Programme’s financial, legal and reputational risks are managed effectively
- Manage and develop resourcing and staffing arrangements which enable the Programme to meet its goals, including the effective performance of employees. Identify and map resources to programme need to ensure high quality delivery of programmes/projects in a timely manner and to budget
- Identify and manage fundraising for the DS programme. Work across teams to ensure effective proposals development processes and programme design, including leadership of technical writing. Oversee submission of high quality and impactful donor bids that meet internal targets. Keep abreast of fundraising opportunities and actively seek these out working with the Development, Evidence and Impact Teams.
- Foster positive relations with the Programme’s stakeholders, including the TI-Secretariat based in Berlin, relevant TI National Chapters in other countries, companies, Civil Society Organisations, relevant Government departments, international institutions and defence institutions, ensuring two-way learning between the Programme and the TI movement.
- Take part in media interviews and other external commentary as required, whilst also developing a diverse group of colleagues to amplify their specific expertise to external audiences.
- Work with the Development, Evidence and Impact Team to document and disseminate outcomes and impact to better position DS for funding opportunities and partnerships and to raise our profile.
- Line manage Heads of functions within the Programme; general oversight to ensure sufficient anti-corruption and other relevant expertise within teams.
- Undertake oversight, outreach and supervisory visits to programme countries of operation as required.
- Ensure the programme operates in an integrated and coordinated manner with TI-UK’s other programmes and with shared services.
- Deputise for the Director of International Engagement (as required, including with Trustees/SLT) and contribute to the development of TI Movement thinking on the management of global programmes and TI-UK operational structures and policies.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Have extensive sector expertise in defence and security as well as anti-corruption efforts
- Have strong leadership skills, take ownership and responsibility for the delivery of goals and manage operations effectively and efficiently
- Have the ability to deliver programmes and projects to a high quality standard, on budget and in a timely manner
- Be able to manage different donors relationships and expectations on project status and progress
- Have the ability to adapt and course correct programmes to address gaps/complexities in programme delivery and achievement of goals
- Possess strong people and communication skills, across cultures, both to deliver the Programme’s operational objectives and to manage and motivate/inspire the Programme team
- Have a proven track record as a manager of people, stakeholder relationships and complex programmes
- Have a strong focus on results and ability to draw out programme outcomes and impact in compelling ways
- Have an understanding of how to operate at a global level as well as in country-specific contexts
- Have an ability to influence and persuade others, in government and in business, operating in an international context, with the ability to develop and communicate strategic vision
- Have articulate and numerate communication skills, with the ability to write with flair in English
- Be able to actively seek opportunities and lead technical oversight on the Programme’s fundraising and participation at key events
- Have experience in senior level policy-making – developing policy and arguing it into the agendas of governments and international organisations at the highest level
- Have excellent planning, coordination and organisational skills
- Have energy, drive, resilience and focus, and the capacity to flourish responding to complex and competing demands
- Possess the motivation to make a positive difference by combating corruption on the world stage
It would also be good if you have a credible track record of research, advocacy and project management related to defence and security, corruption and governance.
In exchange we will offer:
- A competitive salary
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Up to 5% contributory pension
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced sickness and family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A flexible and friendly working environment, with the opportunity for blended working (more details of this can be found on our website)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.