- Full time: 35 hrs per week
- Salary: 26,574 - £27,919
- Location: Central London office, with opportunity for blended working.
Transparency International (TI) is the world’s leading independent anti-corruption organisation. We work globally towards ensuring a world where people’s lives, government, business and society are free from corruption. A world where, the health of our institutions is enhanced so they can better support the people they are intended for; a world where we can trust the integrity of those in authority and in business, and a world where there is no impunity for the corrupt.
Transparency International – Defence & Security (TI-DS) is one of TI’s global programmes and is committed to tackling corruption in the global defence and security sector. Located in London, as part of Transparency International’s UK chapter, our programme works with defence institutions, governments, defence industry, civil society and international organisations worldwide to strengthen transparency, accountability and oversight systems in a historically opaque and secretive sector. We contribute to broad-based coalitions and collective action working with reform-minded actors to bring about change.
Our strategic objectives are:
- To mitigate corruption risks in the defence and security sector
- To reduce the role of corruption that impacts the defence and security sector as a factor contributing to conflict, insecurity and crises
- To improve the integrity of private sector defence and security actors
- To mitigate critical corruption risk factors in arms control regimes
TI-DS is launching a new programme of work from 2021-2023 funded by the Netherlands MFA, Protecting human security by tackling the cycle of corruption, instability and conflict. The key objectives of this work include integrating anti-corruption norms and practices into peacebuilding, and, as relevant, development and human rights; strengthening civic space in security sector anti-corruption and oversight; and, supporting the integration of gender-sensitivity at the nexus of conflict, defence and security, and corruption. TI-DS will lead work at the global and regional levels and, at the national level, will support national civil society in its efforts to bring about change. Beyond this programme of work, TI-DS will seek to diversify its funding base, by identifying new opportunities and establishing relationships with institutional and private donors.
About the role
As Research Officer you will work with the Head of Research to produce new knowledge and insight to support our research and advocacy efforts around corruption in the defence and security sector. In adidtion to this you will also undertake ad hoc research as required for TI-DS to respond to external events and opportunities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the delivery of TI-DS’s research agenda by undertaking qualitative and mixed-methods research projects under the guidance of the Head of Research
- Producing and facilitating literature reviews, synthesis studies and case-based studies on the key topics set-out to contribute to support the development of TI-DS’s expertise on defence and security sector corruption and the overall achievement of TI-DS’s strategic objectives
- Collecting and analysing secondary data, and producing primary data as needed, to provide new insights into corruption risks in the defence and security sectors
- Assisting the Head of Research with quality assurance checks on TI-DS research and policy outputs, including review of underlying data and evidence, as well as strength of analysis and policy recommendations
- Assisting the Head of Advocacy with the development of key policy recommendations, in collaboration with the Head of Research and TI-DS staff
- Serving as point of contact for TI-DS colleagues who are undertaking discrete research projects, and coordinating inputs from Head of Research, Head of Advocacy, Leads, and Programme Director
The successful candidate will have relevant experience of supporting research projects, including data collection experience.
You will also:
- Be able to analyse qualitative and quantitative data for narrative and communications outputs
- Have a demonstrable interest and understanding of anti-corruption and governance work, preferably in the defence and security area
- Have excellent written skills able to produce information in a clear and accessible format
- Have excellent communication, inter-personal, time-management and organisational skills
- Have a willingness to openly and constructively challenge yourself and others to improve and develop knowledge
- To identify complex problems and propose solutions to the management team to resolve these
- Have a commitment to Transparency International’s core values: Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Solidarity, Courage, Justice and Democracy.
In exchange we will offer you:
- A competitive salary
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Up to 5% contributory pension
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced sickness and family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A flexible and friendly working environment, with the opportunity for blended working (details of this can be discussed at interview stage)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.