Would you like to lead an inspiring network that is supporting a growing movement of people choosing to create and manage their own communities? Would you enjoy working autonomously and with partner organisations to develop an emerging business?
The UK Cohousing Network are looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual able to lead and shape the movement, who will enjoy getting stuck into a wide variety of tasks,working collaboratively to see more successful cohousing communities in the UK. You will be employed as the Chief Executive of UK Cohousing Network but with delegated duties from the UK Cohousing Trust, a recently formed charity with complementary educational and research objectives.
Cohousing communities are created and run by their residents. Each household has a self-contained, private home but residents come together to manage their community and share activities, resources and skills. Cohousing is a way of combating the alienation and isolation many experience today, and a way that some groups with specific interests organise themselves as an intentional community, for example, older age, LGBT, climate activists, various belief systems, or simply as an intergenerational group of people who have a shared ethos to live in a more neighbourly way.
About the network
The UK Cohousing Network (UKCN) was established following the UK’s first Cohousing Conference in 2007. UKCN is the national cohousing membership organisation with a mission to enable communities to use the cohousing principles to create better places to live by sharing facilities and services to reduce isolation, loneliness and living costs. UKCN currently has 150 members comprising established, forming and developing groups across the UK.
UKCN is a resource for anyone interested in learning about cohousing, alongside an advice service for local councils, housing associations, and others working for progressive social change.
About the role
Working closely with our small and ambitious team, and with the other national partners, this role will work at a senior level to support the development of the Network, of cohousing and the wider community-led housing sector across the UK.
The CEO will have primary duties to the Network and Board of Directors, but will also be commissioned by the Trustees of the UK Cohousing Trust to develop, secure and manage research opportunities.
Purpose of the post
- Creating and realising a shared vision for the creation of more cohousing communities;
- Working closely with the boards to create a strategy to fulfil the vision and mission of both organisations and being accountable ensuring the team and contractors deliver on these objectives;
- Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day running of the Network and its activities, particularly membership;
- Delegated, complementary duties from the UK Cohousing Trust
We are looking for an energetic and collaborative leader to see the UK Cohousing Network thrive. This is an exciting opportunity to support the growth of the network and of cohousing in the UK. Whatever your motivations, we would like to hear from you — particularly if you enjoy immersing yourself in a new and emerging sector, like to drive change by working hands-on, and enjoy working collaboratively to spot and grab opportunities.
Terms and Conditions
- Fixed term contract of 15 months (with the possibility of extension subject to funding)
- £48,000 to £50,000 FTE
- 30 hours over 4 days/week (with the possibility of extension subject to funding)
- Location: hosted by National CLT Network at CAN Mezzanine, Great Dover Street, Southwark
- Extensive travel throughout the UK required, generous travel budget included
- Requests for flexible working will be considered favourably
If you would like to apply for this role please visit our website which has full instructions and a job pack.
Deadline: 5pm on Wednesday 4th September 2019
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.