**To apply for this vacancy, please ensure you download a copy of our application form from the documents section of our online portal when you apply and follow the instructions provided at the top of our job description page.**
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new organisation in start-up mode and help shape our public relations, brand and profile-raising activity.
In this newly created role, the PR Manager will develop PR activity that connects new audiences with UNHCR’s humanitarian work for refugees and inspires them to take action through our charity’s campaigns, fundraising and events.
This will include campaigns that tap into passionate supporters of refugees, as well as finding innovative ways to educate new audiences about the refugee cause and our work, such as through business, sport, lifestyle, fashion, food, arts and culture.
This role supports issues management and during emergency appeals will help pitch for news coverage to raise awareness. The successful candidate will also help develop content, working with field colleagues, UNHCR’s London office and UNHCR head office teams, to develop storytelling for our own platforms and partnerships.
The role sits within the Communications team, which is responsible for raising awareness and public engagement, working closely with the Senior Digital Communications Officer who manages our website and social channels. You will collaborate teams across the charity, including individual giving, partnerships and philanthropy, community fundraising, supporter care and events.
If you think you have the relevant skills and the passion to use them to support refugees, we would love to hear from you.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
United Kingdom for UNHCR is the United Nations Refugee Agency’s new national charity partner for the United Kingdom. We generate public awareness of the plight of refugees and raise funds to help protect them through UNHCR’s humanitarian operations across the world.
Our supporters include UK private individuals, communities, corporate partners, trusts and foundations. The funds we raise help UNHCR deliver emergency relief such as shelter, medical care and basic supplies to people fleeing conflict and persecution, as well as healthcare, education and livelihoods opportunities for those who remain displaced over the long term.
Nobody chooses to be a refugee, but we can all play a part in their protection. We want those who work with us to share our values and passion for the cause.
We strongly value diversity and recognise that it is critical to our success and the cause that we serve. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all who work with us and strongly welcome applications from diverse backgrounds.
We are also open to flexibility in many different ways, including an element of working from home and flexible hours. Please don’t be afraid to speak to us about this at the interview stage, so we can explore what’s possible.
Public engagement and awareness raising
- Create and deliver PR plans to publicise fundraising appeals, events and campaigns
- Secure multichannel awareness, including broadcast, social media, influencers, and print and online media
- Support the development and delivery of editorial partnerships with media and content platforms
- Proactively pitch story ideas to engage broad and special interest audiences with our humanitarian work and refugees
- Support the Director of Communications in the coordination of UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador engagement and growing the charity’s influencer networks
- Establish robust KPIs to measure impact, engagement and reach of comms campaigns
- Coordinate speaking opportunities and conference research to support thought leadership and charity profile raising
- Provide press office function for reactive media enquiries
- Manage PR administration including reporting, media list management, media monitoring and budget tracking
Communications and content development
- Produce editorial content, including copy, photography and video assets to support media placements, events and corporate partnerships
- Liaise with comms colleagues in field operations and UNHCR head office to help research and acquire content to support campaigns
- Maintain information on key messages and positioning for organisation-wide use
- Write strategic communications products (including speaking points, media releases, exec briefings and annual report copy).
- Contribute articles and image research for our donor communications channels
- Engage external specialists, e.g. photographers, to help develop content
- Collaborate with fundraising teams to share communications content and coordinate with forward planning / issues
- Assist in implementation of UK for UNHCR’s Emergency Comms Plan during emergency appeals
- Supports on other projects as required
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience developing and implementing PR/communications plans
- Experience delivering campaigns that created a measurable impression, raised awareness and generated action from target audiences
- Experience working with broadcast and online media platforms and delivering coverage
- Broad communications experience needed, but must include consumer facing PR
- Experience of managing external PR agencies and freelancers (e.g. photographers)
- Strong understanding of UK broadcast and consumer media
- Strong journalistic skills, including an understanding of what makes a good news story proofreading and editing skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Curating images and video content to accompany media pitches and support events
- Ability to present complex issues in an accessible and engaging way to different audiences across different formats
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and execute tasks independently, managing deadlines and working well under pressure
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills
- Advanced proficiency in all Microsoft office products; ability to use databases and CRM
- Must have an interest in global humanitarian affairs
- Must be diplomatic, tactful and comfortable dealing with sensitive issues
- Working in a not-for-profit or advocacy organisation
- Experience with refugee issues or field work
- Experience of working within a start-up team