**To apply for this vacancy, please ensure you download a copy of our application form from the documents section of our online portal when you apply and follow the instructions provided at the top of our job description page.**
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a new organisation in start-up mode and help shape our digital channels from the ground up.
In this newly created role, you will be the focal point for the day-to-day editorial management of the charity’s social media channels and website. This will include content creation, scheduling, community engagement, analytics and campaign support.
Your first focus will be the launch of our social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube. You will also manage our new website, working closely with the digital fundraising team.
The role sits with the Communications team which is responsible for raising awareness and public engagement with the charity’s fundraising activity, UNHCR’s humanitarian work and the broader refugee cause. You will collaborate with teams across the charity, including digital fundraising (who manage paid social advertising, display, search and email marketing), partnerships, special appeals, community fundraising and events. You will also be the key focal point for our coordination with UNHCR’s global and UK Branch Office social media teams.
If you think you have the relevant skills and the passion to use them to support refugees, we would love to hear from you.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
United Kingdom for UNHCR is the United Nations Refugee Agency’s new national charity partner for the United Kingdom. We generate public awareness of the plight of refugees and raise funds to help protect them through UNHCR’s humanitarian operations across the world.
Our supporters include UK private individuals, communities, corporate partners, trusts and foundations. The funds we raise help UNHCR deliver emergency relief such as shelter, medical care and basic supplies to people fleeing conflict and persecution, as well as healthcare, education and livelihoods opportunities for those who remain displaced over the long term.
Nobody chooses to be a refugee, but we can all play a part in their protection. We want those who work with us to share our values and passion for the cause.
We strongly value diversity and recognise that it is critical to our success and the cause that we serve. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all who work with us and strongly welcome applications from diverse backgrounds.
We are also open to flexibility in many different ways, including an element of working from home and flexible hours. Please don’t be afraid to speak to us about this at the interview stage, so we can explore what’s possible.
Planning and coordination
- Launch and grow our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube channels
- Deliver and schedule content on a daily basis, with flexibility to respond to news events and emergencies at short notice
- Provide timely responses to supporter queries on social media, coordinating with Supporter Care colleagues on messaging and follow up needs
- Respond quickly to sensitive issues and foster the growth of our online supporter community
- Manage the charity’s website to ensure high quality, timely content that supports all areas of the charity, including individual giving, corporate partnerships, legacies, PR campaigns, advocacy and governance
- Responsible for website maintenance and UX best practice
Content creation and campaign support
- Produce or commission multimedia content, including video stories, infographics, blog posts, web stories and other content to support charity activity
- Apply understanding of UNHCR’s humanitarian work to deliver strong storytelling and relevance content to the audience
- Adapt content from UNHCR head office and field comms to localise for UK audiences
- Develop digital editorial plans to amplify campaigns, milestones and events
- Deliver planning and scheduling in a timely manner, and be quick to respond to news and emergencies
- Support development of an online influencer strategy to enable passionate advocates to get involved and spread the word about UK for UNHCR’s work
- Flag and navigate political sensitivities in line with UNHCR and charity policies
Analytics and best practice
- Deliver analytics on social media and organic website activity, recommending changes in strategy or mix to improve effectiveness
- Maintain a search engine optimisation routine, working closely with the digital fundraising team and UNHCR HQ digital team
- Keep up to date with digital communications and content trends, platforms and tools
- Provide subject matter expertise, proactive assistance and advice as required for planning and delivery of digital and supporter journey projects Work with external experts, such web developers, UX and SEO specialists, to deliver periodic reviews and bespoke solutions when required
- Observe all legal and legislative requirements, comply with policies and procedures, and demonstrate a high level of confidentiality and integrity.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of managing social media channels to deliver engagement, campaigns and audience growth, preferably in the charity sector
- Experience in Content Management Systems (CMS) and website maintenance
- Experience of delivering digital comms that created an impression, raised awareness and prompted followers to take action
- Experience of identifying and driving iterative improvements to digital channels through testing and analytics
- Proficient in using Google Analytics and social media tools to evaluate performance and identify improvements
- Knowledge of SEO and how to apply it to improve content and engagement
- Proficient in creating content for online use, using software such as Adobe Suite, Canva or similar to edit and produce basic assets
- Strong communication skills, applying tact and diplomacy in community management
- Proficient in social media planning tools and platforms to schedule and post content
- Researching images and writing compelling copy for different audience profiles
- The ability to prioritise multiple tasks, working proactively and sometimes under pressure
- Good attention to detail, strong ability to proof-read and pick up inconsistencies
- Understanding of GDPR principles
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- Must have an interest in global humanitarian affairs
- Working in a not-for-profit or advocacy organisation
- Experience with refugee issues or field work
- Experience in a start-up environment and establishing channels from launch