UKGBC is seeking a talented, experienced professional to champion its member outreach activities, networking and engaging with businesses across the built environment value chain to ensure that they derive value from their membership, and accelerate their action to radically improve the sustainability of the UK built environment.
At a time of critical growth for the charity, with over 100 new members onboarding in the last year alone, we need a dynamic, passionate and industry-facing individual who wishes to seize this opportunity to extend their own professional network while accelerating action on sustainable outcomes.
You will be working closely with our >580 member organisations, bringing them knowledge and understanding of UKGBC's wide-ranging programmes and activities, and ensuring that they engage with and utilise these as much as possible. This will require you to work closely with every member of the UKGBC team, drawing from the growing breadth and diversity of opportunities for members to engage, and using this to strengthen existing relationships, as well as developing new ones.
You will work closely with the Director of Membership & Partnerships to ensure alignment, consistency and efficiency in the way UKGBC engages with members and articulates the value proposition for activities that support us deliver our mission.
You will have a deep understanding of sustainability in the built environment and a track record of driving business engagement through commercial insight and outstanding communication and networking skills.
UKGBC is an industry-led network with a mission to radically improve the sustainability of the built environment. It is a charity with almost 600 member organisations spanning the entire value chain, we represent the voice of the industry’s current and future leaders who are striving for transformational change.
We collaborate to advocate, enable and inspire accelerated leadership and action, primarily by business and government, on climate change, resource use, nature & biodiversity, health & wellbeing and socio-economic impact We also engage our members in advocating a progressive message to government, informing and influencing policy at national and local levels.
Our vision is a built environment that enables people and planet to thrive by:
• Mitigating and adapting to climate change
• Eliminating waste and maximising resource efficiency
• Embracing and restoring nature and promoting biodiversity
• Optimizing the health and wellbeing of people
• Creating long-term value for society and improving quality of life
UKGBC is committed to providing equal opportunities to all existing and prospective employees. We aim to be inclusive to everyone regardless of ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation or political beliefs.
- Reach out proactively to members to understand their organisational priorities, keep them up to date with UKGBC activities and programmes that could add value to their sustainability journey, and be recognised as the 'face of UKGBC' regarding their overall engagement with UKGBC
- Establish and manage good relationships with a large number of UKGBC members (including acting as account manager for at least five of these businesses that aspire to sustainability leadership) supporting them in driving change further faster through their businesses.
- Inform and influence the ongoing review of membership value proposition including range of member benefits, customised sectoral models and regularly updated membership collateral. Identify new and interesting ways in which UKGBC can convene its members together, to collaborate, co-create solutions, and knowledge share.
- Champion the member induction process for new members, delivering Lunch & Learns for both new and existing members, bringing them exciting and up to date information across all UKGBC programmes and activities.
- Support the Director of Membership and Partnerships to facilitate UKGBC’s Member Advisory Group and chair the monthly internal membership meeting to ensure that UKGBC's plans and programmes suitably reflect member needs and priorities
- Support the Director of Membership & Partnerships in reviewing and updating the member engagement strategy to ensure that UKGBC is proactively engaging with its membership. Includes using membership KPIs and Salesforce data to identify priority members with whom to focus engagement.
- Support the Member relations and CRM manager to ensure efficient debtor management and chasing up overdue membership fees.
- Inform the exploitation of UKGBC's CRM system, Salesforce, to drive improved member engagement, ensuring UKGBC maintains more and better information on member businesses, such as number of individual contacts and location of regional offices Member recruitment
- Continuously review UKGBC's membership model to ensure it works for existing and new parts of the property and construction sectors in order to accelerate the achievement of UKGBC’s mission. • Lead the recruitment of new members with a view to growing UKGBC’s penetration across the entire property and construction value chain, thereby extending its impact.
- Provide strategic input and practical support for membership recruitment in English regions and devolved countries. Includes providing support, tools and coaching to build capacity and confidence for local network coordinators.
- Support the full exploitation of UKGBC's CRM system, Salesforce, to drive member recruitment
- Lead the design and roll out of annual Member Impact Survey to ensure that UKGBC tracks its ongoing impact, and obtains and acts upon relevant and timely member feedback on its activities.
- Capture, analyse & report on member feedback obtained through member engagement meetings, interviews & surveys to the Director of Membership & Operations alongside recommendations for improved engagement.
- Provide timely and practical input to UKGBC’s annual operating plan including during the creation of the commercial membership plan for the following year and quarterly updates for both staff and Trustees. UKGBC team activities
- Take part in regular meetings and away days related to UKGBC operations and workstreams.
- Champion the organisational culture and the UKGBC Way (values into action framework) by adopting a solutionsdriven, positive, and efficient attitude
- Demonstrate agility and flexibility to perform duties that may be outside core accountabilities.
- Strong commercial awareness
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent planning, organisational and project management skills
- Emotional intelligence and an aptitude for developing and maintaining strong stakeholder relationships
- A self-starter with independent judgement and work planning, also able to work well as part of a team
- Commitment to UKGBC mission and values
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems and deliver positive impact
- Strong qualitative research and analysis skills
Essential knowledge, experience and qualifications:
- Substantial experience of working in the built environment industry / sustainability sector
- Extensive knowledge and experience of corporate sustainability practice and the particular issues facing the built environment sector
- Deep knowledge of the UK property and construction industry, with an existing network of contacts
- Ability to network with & draw benefit from other trade, NGO, government and academic organisations associated with the built environment
- Experience of designing or implementing client relationship management strategies and plans
Desirable knowledge, experience and qualifications:
- Solid understanding of UKGBC’s model of change and member value proposition
- Ability to facilitate sessions with a wide spectrum of stakeholders
- Degree in relevant sustainability and/ or building related subject.
- Property, construction, or sustainability related professional qualifications such as from RICS, RIBA, IEMA.
- Experience using Salesforce or another CRM system
- An interest or understanding in system change / business transformation
- Experience of business development, marketing and pricing
- Knowledge of the market across different UK regions
- A personal interest in enviromental and social issues
Terms & Conditions
Place of Work: In line with COVID 19 Government Guidance, UKGBC colleagues are currently working from home. As Covid restrictions are easing we are moving to a hybrid working model and the contractual base will be The Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London WC1E 7BT
Hours of work: 37.5 hours with flexible working
Holidays: 28 days per annum pro rata, plus 3 days between Christmas & New Year plus public holidays. Salary & Benefits: Salary dependent on experience, enhanced pension contribution, Bupa cashback scheme Length of contract: Permanent Start date: ASAP
Please apply with your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would be great for this role in no more than 250 words.