UKGBC is seeking an experienced professional to deliver its membership strategy by engaging existing and attracting new members in order to achieve its mission to radically improve the sustainability of the UK built environment. This exciting role is industry-facing, closely working with over 500 UKGBC members spanning the entire built environment value chain, to ensure that they maximise the value of their membership, and to extend and strengthen existing relationships with them. It will feed directly into UKGBC’s business planning processes and help design propositions that provide members with the solutions, tools and guidance they require to radically improve the sustainability of the built environment.
This important role will work closely with the Director of Membership & Operations to ensure alignment, consistency and efficiency in the way UKGBC engages with members and articulates the value proposition for income generating activities.
UKGBC is an industry-led network with a mission to radically improve the sustainability of the built environment. It is a charity with over 500 member organisations spanning the entire value chain, we represent the voice of the industry’s current and future leaders who are striving for transformational change. We inspire, challenge and empower our members, helping them to identify and adopt the most sustainable, viable solutions. We also engage our members in advocating a progressive message to government, informing and influencing policy. Our vision is a built environment that enables people and planet to thrive by:
- Mitigating and adapting to climate change
- Eliminating waste and maximising resource efficiency
- Embracing and restoring nature and promoting biodiversity
- Optimizing the health and wellbeing of people
- Creating long-term value for society and improving quality of life
The purpose of the role is to develop and deliver a membership strategy which fulfils UKGBC’s Annual Operating Plan in terms of income and impact, and ensure that member engagement processes and outcomes are competitive and fit for purpose.
- Lead the implementation of the refreshed member engagement strategy to ensure that UKGBC is proactively engaging with its membership. Includes using membership KPIs and Salesforce data to identify priority members with whom to focus engagement.
- Be recognised by members as the main membership lead regarding their overall engagement with UKGBC and keep members up to date with specfic activities they could benefit from.
- Lead a regular review of membership value proposition including review of benefits, customised sectoral models and regularly updated membership collateral.
- Identify and actively promote opportunities within existing and prospective members for UKGBC revenue generation through bespoke solutions, events, program sponsorship and other funding opportunities.
- Facilitate UKGBC’s Member Advisory Group and other member forums, workshops and events as appropriate
- Undertake key account management duties for selected Gold Leaf members to ensure that they are deriving significant value from engaging with UKGBC.
- Lead the annual Member Impact Survey/ interview process to ensure that UKGBC obtains and acts upon relevant and timely member feedback on its activities.
- Lead the full exploitation of UKGBC's CRM system, Salesforce, to drive improved member engagement, ensuring UKGBC maintains more and better information on member businesses, such as number of individual contacts and location of regional offices
- Continuously review UKGBC's membership model to ensure it works for existing and new parts of the property and construction sectors in order to accelerate the achievement of UKGBC’s mission.
- Lead the recruitment of new members with a view to growing UKGBC’s penetration across the entire property and construction value chain.
- Provide strategic input and practical support for membership recruitment in English regions and devolved countries. Includes providing support and tools to build capacity and confidence for local network coordinators..
- Represent UKGBC at conferences and events to raise our profile as widely as possible, promote our activities, and identify and convert new member prospects.
- Lead the full exploitation of UKGBC's CRM system, Salesforce, to drive member recruitment.
- Capture, analyse and report on member feedback obtained through member engagement meetings, interviews and surveys to UKGBC’s senior leadership team alongside recommendations for improved engagement.
- Provide timely and practical input to UKGBC’s annual operating plan including during the creation of the business plan for the following year.
- Inform and influence the design of ongoing activities aimed at engaging the membership in research, best practice and innovation in order to transform the industry.
UKGBC team activities
- Take part in regular meetings and away days related to UKGBC operations and workstreams.
- Champion the organisational culture and the UKGBC Way (values into action framework) by adopting a solutions-driven, positive, and efficient attitude
- Upskill the team drawing upon personal experience on relevant topics and capabilities – eg facilities management, investment appraisals, business case etc.
- Demonstrate agility and flexibility to perform duties that may be outside core accountabilities.
Decision making authority (eg strategy – impact on business; customers/stakeholders; people – leadership and teamwork; process – operational effectiveness and controls
- Project management
- Internal & external member engagement meetings
- Programmatic decisions
- Resource allocation
- Member recruitment and retention strategy including fees
- Deep knowledge of the UK property and construction industry, with an existing network of contacts within UKGBC membership
- Strong commercial awareness, including experience of business development, marketing and pricing
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent planning, organisational and project management skills
- Emotional intelligence and an aptitude for developing and maintaining strong stakeholder relationships
- A self-starter with independent judgement and work planning, also able to work well as part of a team
- Solid understanding of UKGBC’s model of change and member value proposition
- Ability to facilitate sessions with a wide spectrum of stakeholders
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems and deliver positive impact
- Strong qualitative research and analysis skills
- Knowledge of the market across different UK regions
Knowledge, experience and qualifications
- 5-7y experience of working in the built environment industry / sustainability sector
- Extensive knowledge and experience of corporate sustainability practice and the particular issues facing the built environment sector
- Ability to network with & draw benefit from other trade, NGO, government and academic organisations associated with the built environment
- Degree in relevant sustainability and building related subject.
- Property, construction, or sustainability related professional qualifications such as from RICS, RIBA, IEMA.
- Experience of designing or implementing client relationship management strategies and plans
- Experience using Salesforce or another CRM system
- An interest or understanding in system change / business transformation
- A personal interest in enviromental and social issues
Terms & Conditions
Place of Work: In line with COVID 19 Government Guidance, UKGBC colleagues are expected to work from home. When permitted, Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London WC1E 7BT
Hours of work: 37.5 hours with flexible working
Holidays: 28 days per annum pro rata, plus 3 days between Christmas & New Year plus public holidays.
Salary & benefits: Based on experience
Length of contract: Permanent
Start date: ASAP
UKGBC is committed to providing equal opportunities to all existing and prospective employees. We aim to be inclusive to everyone regardless of ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation or political beliefs.
Apply now sending a copy of your CV and a covering email explaining in no more than 250 words why you would be amazing in this role and the earliest date you can start. Applications will be assessed as they are received and until the lucky candidate has been appointed.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.