Director of Finance
This position plays an integral and leading role in helping UKSA enact its strategic plan, ensuring the ongoing sustainability of the organisation and strengthening UKSA’s finances through effective long-term business and financial planning This position will focus on the financial and capital planning of the next exciting phase of UKSA’s development and ensuring UKSA remains focused on risk mitigation and compliance as a high-performing charity..
UKSA’s purpose is to inspire and support children and young people to broaden their horizons through our life enhancing water-based adventures, education and training for careers at sea.
· Play a key part in the Leadership Team contributing to the overall UKSA strategy and the on-going commercial success of the organization.
· Ensuring that the charity is aware of its accountability to its stakeholders and that all relationships are managed, monitored and considered in the development of the charity.
· Driving commercial behaviour throughout the organisation with a key focus on improving access to financial information and financial resilience.
Financial & Commercial
· Ensuring that the appropriate business plans and processes are in place to ensure the long-term financial viability of the charity, leading the Executive team on the financial consequences of proposed actions.
· Providing sound financial advice, insight, and analysis in writing and verbally to the Chief Executive, Executive team, FSC and Board of Trustees to inform strategic decision-making. and be the main interface between management, the Finance Sub-Committee and Trustees on financial matters.
· Production of annual reports and accounts for the charity and its trading subsidiary to comply with the statutory accounting standards and recommended practice and Charity Commission rules.
· Responsibility for submission of accurate and timely tax and VAT returns to HMRC for the charity and its subsidiary.
· Leading the charity’s budgeting processes, for resource allocation and performance monitoring at all levels of the charity.
· Prepare and deliver the charity annual budget for approval by the CE and Board of Trustees
· Monitoring income and expenditure against budget, analysing variances and presenting monthly management accounts, forecasts, and trend analysis to the Executive Team, FSC and the Board
· Ensuring timely and accurate financial information is provided to enable effective decision-making at senior and operational management levels.
· Providing an external interface with banks, auditors, solicitors, investment managers, consultants, and charity finance specialists, including providing and/or coordinating all accounting, legal and taxation services and advice to the charity
· Being the custodian of the charity’s system of financial controls, and ensuring that controls are fit for purpose and in line with recommendations of the Charities Commission
· Ensuring compliance with FCA rules in respect of Assisted Funding loans to students.
Risk & internal audit
· Ensuring appropriate risk management techniques and financial controls are embedded throughout the charity and its subsidiary companies at strategic and operational levels.
· Ensuring the charity's risk register and assurance map is kept up to date are fit for purpose.
· Prepare and report to the CE and the Trustee sub-committees on a quarterly basis, highlighting any changes to the charity risk profile and mitigation plans.
· Ensure the charity has an appropriate major incident and business continuity plan in place.
· Ensure the Charity has appropriate insurance in place for all its business activities and services
· Set the annual internal audit plan and ensure it is fit for purpose and aligns to the charity's major risk register
· Ensure organisational compliance to UKSA’s quality framework ISO9001 and external governing body requirements.
Estate, assets, and capital planning:
· Accountable for producing the long-term operational capital and asset expenditure plans, working closely with the Director of Training and Operations to agree and monitor all expenditures.
· Responsible for procurement and project management of contractors / third-party providers of capital projects and purchasing of new assets
· Ensure the effective management of the charity's ongoing and preventative maintenance functions
IT and Digital
· Ensure that appropriate and up-to-date IT systems are in place taking into account future needs, (including the digital strategy) and the day-to-day operational effectiveness of the organization.
· Responsible for the Data Protection Policy and Data Protection Lead.
· Taking oversight and reviewing all major contracts with commercial providers and, and leading any contract renewals
· Maintaining organisational contracts register including contractual liabilities and safekeeping of documents in compliance with UKSA quality framework ISO9001
· Responsible for UKSA’s terms and conditions with its customers
Company Secretary and Corporate Governance
· Acting as company secretary to the charity and subsidiary companies, working closely with the Chair of the Finance Sub Committee
· Submission of annual returns to Companies House and the Charities Commission and ensuring that registers are kept up to date.
· Responsible for the Charity’s levels of delegated authority and procurement process
· Providing management, support and development to all teams, and team members, within their area of responsibility
· Prepare for and take full part in 1-1 reviews with line manager.
· Conduct effective and timely 1-1 reviews with all line reports, ensuring that performance and development are challenged and supported.
· Effectual line management of all reports covering recruitment, induction, conduct matters, contractual terms and conditions and professional development reviews.
· Ensuring adherence to all policies and procedures and promoting the Vision, Purpose, and Values of UKSA
· Comply with and promote UKSA equality and diversity, data protection and health & safety policies and procedures.
· Work in a way that demonstrates a duty to take care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your actions.
· Co-operate with employees and co-workers to help everyone meet their legal requirements.
· Ensuring operational safeguarding policies and practices are followed by all staff and that safeguarding is actively always promoted throughout the organisation.
· Make a commitment to deliver excellent customer service.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.