**PLEASE NOTE: To apply for this vacancy, please ensure you firstly download a copy of our application form from the documents section below and complete it when you click through to our website. Click the 'apply' button and fill out your personal details in the relevant sections. Once you have submitted these you will be asked if you would like to attach any documents. At this stage please submit the completed version of the application form.**
UK for UNHCR (UK4U), the UN Refugee Agency's national charity partner, is looking for a Head of Major Donors & Trusts to join us at a crucial time in our development. As a start-up, we are a small but high performing team with big ambitions. You will play a key part in developing and leading our major donor and trust work, playing a key part in the success of our fundraising going forward. You will work closely with the corporate partnerships and individual giving teams as well as communications and operations colleagues and UNHCR internationally.
Working with the Director of Fundraising, Chief Executive and Trustees you will develop and implement a strategy for the Major Gifts and Trusts income stream, motivating and leading a small team of specialist major donor and trust fundraisers and delivering an excellent supporter experience. A team player, you will work closely with UK and international colleagues.
Passionate about the refugee cause and UNHCR’s contribution, you will have demonstrable experience of successfully cultivating and stewarding donors as well as preparing and presenting funding proposals for trusts and individual major donors and of setting annual and longer term plans and budgets. You will be familiar with leading and managing a fundraising team and with working across a complex organisation with programme delivery colleagues. Donor focussed and a problem solver, you will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be someone who enjoys developing strong relationships.
We are interested in hearing from candidates with a range of professional experience: charity or private sector. We welcome applicants from minority ethnic and protected groups. If you think you have the relevant skills and crucially, the passion to support the refugee cause, please apply.
Who We Are And What We Do
United Kingdom for UNHCR is the United Nations Refugee Agency’s national charity partner for the United Kingdom. We generate public awareness of the plight of refugees and raise funds to help protect them through UNHCR’s humanitarian operations across the world.
Our supporters include UK private individuals, communities, corporate partners, trusts and foundations. The funds we raise help UNHCR deliver emergency relief such as shelter, medical care and basic supplies to people fleeing conflict and persecution, as well as healthcare, education and livelihoods opportunities for those who remain displaced over the long term.
Nobody chooses to be a refugee, but we can all play a part in their protection and we want those who work with us to share our values and passion for the cause.
We strongly value diversity and recognise that it is critical to our success and the cause that we serve. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all who work with us and strongly welcome applications from diverse backgrounds.
We are also open to flexibility in many different ways, including an element of working from home and flexible hours. Please don’t be afraid to speak to us about this at the interview stage, so we can explore what’s possible.
· To develop and lead the major donor and trust strategy for UK for UNHCR to substantially and sustainably increase income from major donors and trusts.
· Lead, manage and motivate the Major Donor & Trust team,* modelling excellence in
management, generating high standards of performance and behaviour, with team members developed to achieve their best.
· To work closely with the Chief Executive, Trustees and other supporters to maximise their input, making sure they are supported to identify new prospects and to make their own asks.
· Personally manage and inspire a portfolio of individual donors and prospects with the potential to give five and six figure gifts.
· To develop new opportunities with major donors, trusts and foundations in line with UK4U’s fundraising strategy. This will include leading and supporting approaches to new prospects.
- Ensure the development and management of a robust prospect pipelines for major donors, trusts and foundations.
· Ensure a prompt strategic and tactical response to major donor and trust prospects in the event of humanitarian emergencies
· Ensure the database of major donor and trust supporters and prospects is up-to-date, accurate and GDPR compliant.
· Oversee cultivation events for major donors and representatives of trusts and foundations, liaising with UNHCR colleagues for input into global events when appropriate.
· Work within UK4U’s and UNHCR’s due diligence policy and processes
· Ensure accurate income recording and earmarking procedures to facilitate financial reporting.
* Currently consists of four posts: Trust & Foundation Manager, Snr Major Donor & Trust Officer, a Major Donor Manager (new role), and a Prospect Researcher (new role).
Personal Attributes and Experience
- Experience of line and team management in a fundraising environment.
- Experience of managing complex relationships with major donors, trusts, Trustees and other supporters.
- Experience of successfully identifying, cultivating, asking and stewarding five and six figure gifts.
- Experience of managing and growing a prospect pipeline.
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-cultural environment.
- Experience of applying effective problem-solving when the situation demands.
- Experience of financial and budgetary management.
- Experience of working a fast paced environment.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills.
· Ability to act proactively to identify new prospects and fundraising opportunities.
· Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to tailor your approach to different audiences
· Ability to communicate complex themes and subjects in writing and verbally.
· Ability to juggle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
· Able to demonstrate flexibility, with a willingness to respond quickly, particularly at times of humanitarian crisis.
· An understanding of GDPR and other regulatory compliance issues.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM Products/fundraising databases.
· Evidence of up-to-date knowledge of best practice and new initiatives in philanthropy.
· Understanding of the changing fundraising landscape of the UK and what this means for philanthropic fundraising and the charity sector.
- Demonstrable interest in international development/humanitarian issues and/or a higher education or similar qualification in these areas.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.