**PLEASE NOTE: To apply for this vacancy, please ensure you firstly download a copy of our application form from the documents section using the link to our website and complete it. Click the 'apply' button and fill out your personal details in the relevant sections. Once you have submitted these you will be asked if you would like to attach any documents. At this stage please submit the completed version of the application form.**
UK for UNHCR (UK4U), the UN Refugee Agency's national charity partner, is looking for a Major Donor Manager to join us at a crucial time in our development. As a start-up, we are a small but high performing team with big ambitions. You will join our new and growing Major Donor & Trusts team, playing a key part in establishing this area of fundraising for UK4U and developing our major donor work going forward.
Passionate about the refugee cause and UNHCR’s contribution, the role is involved in the identification, cultivation and stewardship of major donors, working closely with the Head of Major Donors & Trusts, CEO and trustees and individual giving and international colleagues. As well as experience of major gift fundraising, you will be confident in navigating complex environments with many stakeholders, of negotiating and working across teams.
You will be adept crafting a compelling case for support and in managing prospect pipelines. As Major Donor Manager you will be responsible for developing and expanding a small existing warm portfolio of donors, alongside new business responsibilities to identify further support.
You will have a passion for the refugee cause and be able to communicate this in a thoughtful and engaging way. You will enjoy developing strong relationships and have excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Who We Are And What We Do
United Kingdom for UNHCR is the United Nations Refugee Agency’s national charity partner for the United Kingdom. We generate public awareness of the plight of refugees and raise funds to help protect them through UNHCR’s humanitarian operations across the world.
Our supporters include UK private individuals, communities, corporate partners, trusts and foundations. The funds we raise help UNHCR deliver emergency relief such as shelter, medical care and basic supplies to people fleeing conflict and persecution, as well as healthcare, education and livelihoods opportunities for those who remain displaced over the long term.
Nobody chooses to be a refugee, but we can all play a part in their protection and we want those who work with us to share our values and passion for the cause.
We strongly value diversity and recognise that it is critical to our success and the cause that we serve. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all who work with us and strongly welcome applications from diverse backgrounds.
We are also open to flexibility in many different ways, including an element of working from home and flexible hours. Please don’t be afraid to speak to us about this at the interview stage, so we can explore what’s possible.
- Work as part of the Major Donor and Trusts team to develop new opportunities with major donors (donors capable of giving£10K+) in line with UK4U’s fundraising strategy.
- Support the development and management of a robust prospect pipeline and a calendar of opportunities for engagement, cultivation and stewardship of donors.
- Work with the wider international organisation to identify the most appropriate funding propositions for donors.
- Craft compelling propositions and proposals for major donors and ensure quality and timely report back on gifts made.
- Work closely with the IG team to manage the transition of mid-value donors to the major donor programme.
- Engage existing and selected prospect major donors in the event of humanitarian emergencies.
- Work independently and with the prospect researcher to gather up-to-date and accurate information on existing and prospect major donors.
- Maintain accurate records, including Salesforce and UK4U’s databases for income recording and earmarking.
- Working with the wider team to deliver bespoke major donor activities including virtual and in-person events.
- Help to position and raise awareness of UK4U’s role among peers, donors and other audiences by participating in sector networks and representing UK4U at events.
- Work within UK4U’s due diligence policy and GDPR policies and processes.
- Support the Major Donor & Trust team in other activities, including gifts in wills, as requested.
Personal Attributes & Experience
- Experience of working in an income generating capacity with an NGO or INGO to identify, approach, secure and steward major donors giving or capable of giving over five and six figure gifts.
- Experience of developing donor care plans and delivering bespoke proposals and communications to generate income.
- Experience of managing a prospect pipeline.
- Experience of developing annual and multi-year budgets and plans
- Confident communicator with the ability to effectively influence internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to analyse reports and communicate complex themes and subjects in an accessible and compelling manner in writing and verbally;
- Ability to act proactively to identify new prospects and fundraising opportunities;
- Ability to negotiate and deliver mutually, beneficial outcomes;
- Ability to juggle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines within a collaborative team environment;
- Good attention to detail, ability to proof-read;
- Able to demonstrate flexibility, with a willingness to respond quickly, particularly at times of humanitarian crisis;
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills;
- A flexible team player with service oriented and problem solving attitudes;
- Proficient in using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project;
- Working knowledge of fundraising databases.
- Experience of working in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
- Knowledge of international development or related subjects helpful but not essential.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.