HR and Operations Lead
We’re on a mission to level the playing field when it comes to young people finding and applying for their next step after school. We're achieving this by bringing all the available information into one single, impartial, user-friendly platform that helps students to make the best choices, and submit the strongest applications. We also empower teachers and counselors to manage the progression process effectively.
Our outlook is global - we work with schools and universities all over the world, from the US to New Zealand, and from Italy to Hong Kong. We want to make it so that young people can compare every opportunity taught in English, wherever it is in the world, and have all the support they need to make successful applications.
We have a clear social purpose, and we’re hugely ambitious. We already work with more than a third of UK secondary schools and hundreds of international schools. We are growing rapidly in terms of the number of our partners, in terms of how much they use our platform, and in terms of the breadth of products we offer.
Our team is at the heart of our business and is integral to our success. We work hard to foster a culture of openness, happiness and innovation, and we commit to helping every individual learn and grow so that they can reach their full potential. We want to hire talented people, whatever their background. If you are excited by our mission and are ready to work hard, please don’t hesitate to apply. We look forward to hearing from you!
We believe in the power of diversity. If you are from an ethnic minority background, we would like to strongly encourage you to apply. In advance of applying if you have any questions about working at Unifrog, please contact our UK Diversity Champion, Samar (details on our website).
The role and your key responsibilities
As HR and Operations Lead, your role will be twofold: you’ll help us to recruit, develop and retain a happy and effective Unifrog team; and you’ll help us to improve the efficiency of our internal systems and processes. This role is important for making sure that everything runs smoothly at Unifrog. Your key responsibilities will include:
- HR & Operations
- Coordinate and administer company benefits (e.g. health schemes), and research other ways to improve our employee experience.
- Regularly review our company handbook and work with the Operations and Finance Manager to create and update policies.
- Track and coordinate performance development reviews (PDRs): work with the relevant line managers to keep PDR frameworks up-to-date; make sure that PDRs are completed in a timely and effective manner; and make improvements to the PDR process.
- Keep our London office organised and well-run (e.g. order equipment and supplies; manage our desk-booking system; take the lead on any future office expansion).
- Manage the expenses process for our employees and look for ways to improve this process.
- Book hotels, conference rooms and training courses for the team.
- Manage our legal obligations, including external contracts and insurance. o Maintain employee holiday and sickness records.
- Support the Operations and Finance Manager with: employee relations issues (e.g. disciplinaries); training staff on new systems and processes; managing the Hong Kong company.
- Assist with ad hoc HR and Operations queries from the team.
- Assist with finance tasks as needed (e.g. helping to manage our bank account; processing payments and reconciling transactions).
- Write, edit and improve our job descriptions.
- Advertise positions and work with recruiters to source high quality candidates.
- Organise second round tasks and final interviews, and be a part of interview panels.
- Analyse our anonymised applicant data to evaluate our effectiveness in attracting a high-quality pool of diverse candidates.
- Write employee contracts.
- Onboard all new starters with the relevant line manager (e.g. create and edit induction timetables; set them up with equipment and logins to internal systems; guide them through the handbook and explain HR processes).
- Manage the process for all Unifrog leavers (e.g. conduct exit interviews; write references).
- Promote the benefits of working at Unifrog through various media (e.g. our website, our Glassdoor profile, Instagram).
You’ll work alongside the Finance Lead and the Operations and Finance Manager, who will also be your line manager. You’ll also have regular contact with most people at Unifrog, including our data, marketing and school-facing teams.
Essential skills and characteristics
- 1-2 years experience in a HR role.
- Experience managing the recruitment process.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Confident working independently but happy to ask for support when it’s needed.
- Personable and able to maintain strong professional relationships.
- Extremely well organized and efficient.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- An interest in education, careers, and development.
- A CIPD / equivalent qualification (or studying towards this) is desirable but not essential.
- Proactive attitude and willingness to get stuck in. You need to be excited about going beyond the core responsibilities detailed above to improve what we do and make it a success.
- Become part of a committed, dynamic and growing team. We want to build our team for the long term – if you do well, we will do our best to make sure you want to stay at the company for a long time.
- Professional development is important at Unifrog. You will define your own 6-month objectives and will be supported by your line manager and the rest of the team to achieve them. You will have an annual training allowance to spend on what you need to grow and progress.
- Influence the company’s direction: we love to promote great ideas, wherever they come from.
- Share in company-wide performance bonus.
- Join one of the most talked about edtech startups and help transform careers and destinations in schools.
- For details of further benefits we offer our staff, please see the jobs page of our website. Key details.
- Base salary of £32,000 - £34,000 per annum, based on experience.
- 28 days paid holiday per year (plus bank holidays).
- Working hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday to Thursday, and 9am to 4:30pm on Friday.
- Split your time between home and our office in Hoxton, London (a minimum of 2 days per week).
- Start date: as soon as possible, though we will be flexible for the right candidate.
- To discuss any details about the role before applying please contact Stephen (details on our website).
- Deadline: 18:00 (UK) on Wednesday 8th December 2021.
- To apply, please visit our website to upload your CV and answer the questions below:
i. ‘Why do you want to work at Unifrog?’ (200 words)
ii. ‘With reference to the job description, what makes you an excellent candidate for this role?’ (500 words)
- The next stage of the application process will be a short in-tray exercise. We will schedule these tasks throughout the application window so we encourage you to apply early.
- Final interviews will be held by Zoom, w/c 13th December 2021.
- We can only consider applications from candidates who already have the right to work in the EU.
Inclusion and diversity at Unifrog
Within the company we try to foster a culture of innovation, and a happy working environment, both because this is the right thing to do, and because we think this results in the most effective team. To this end we believe in open communication, celebrating successes, supporting each other, not being afraid to be wrong or to fail, and promoting good ideas wherever they come from. We also believe in the power of diversity in all its forms, including in terms of culture, education history, religion, age, socio-economic background, race, gender, sexual orientation, personality, life experiences and disability. We want to encourage applicants from every different background to apply for our roles, and add their perspectives to our team.