About United for Global Mental Health
Our vision is a world where mental health is valued and treated in the same way as physical health, and that by 2030 everyone, everywhere, will have someone to turn to when their mental health needs support. We are a small team of advocacy, communications and resource mobilisation specialists working with the global mental health community to make the case for mental health to policy makers. We work closely with colleagues and partners around the world – and we exist to promote and support their work. We are a new and fast-growing organisation, launched in 2018. In 2019 we partnered with campaigners from around the world, currently in 15 countries, to develop and launch a country led and globally united campaign for mental health, Speak Your Mind.
You are an exceptional fundraiser with the highest quality donor research, adept at maintaining and building solid working relationships with extensive experience in high value relationship fundraising. Your grasp of high value fundraising landscapes will be first class: you’ll have a deep understanding of what high value funders are seeking from charitable programmes. Ideally you have experience raising funds internationally. You have an entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for fundraising and the importance of this work within a small start-up team to build new high impact initiatives. You are a true team player, eager to understand the work of the wider team and organisation’s ambitious and powerfully translate these for our funders. You’ll be a good project manager with a natural ability to create processes that empower agile decision-making rather than slow things down. You have passion for international development and/or mental health, and experience in fundraising for campaigns and the ability to convert dense internal information into fundraising-friendly content is essential as is exceptional relationship management and copywriting skills.
The purpose of this role is to oversee the strategy and management of the organisation’s development function with a focus on major donors and charitable trusts, as well as some corporate and institutional funding. We have a small number of high value partners that you will be responsible for.
As a Strategic Fundraising Manager, you’ll work closely with the CEO and Senior Management team, along with our partners and campaigners to understand the plans and ambitions of our work and the wider global mental health community. Your unique contribution will be to translate these ambitions into fundable propositions for United for Global Mental Health to secure and manage new income and partnerships for our work and campaigns.
- Finalise and manage the development function for the organisation, including meeting and delivering upon seven-figure income targets (6-7 figure gifts)
- Ensure the fundraising strategy and practices of the organisation are developed and delivered in alignment with organisational objectives, goals and ways of working
- Research: Undertake regular research to identify and research potential funding opportunities from existing and new funding sources, and innovative approaches
- Lead, with support from the CEO and team, in identifying and negotiating donor relationships, with a primary focus on major donors, trusts and foundations and some corporate and institutional funding
- Manage and support external agency fundraising support to secure and steward donors
- Donor Management:
- Develop donor stewardship and management system
- Manage relationships with confirmed donors including major donors, trusts and institutional funding
- Manage fundraising events, with the support of the wider team as required, to fulfil development prospecting and stewardship
- Systems and Processes:
- Oversee all fundraising activities and functions; initiating, coordinating, and implementing systems, policies, and procedures, ensuring maximum efficiency, including the establishment of a new relationship management system
- Developing and presenting regular operational and financial reports to the Board of Trustees, stakeholders, donors and partners.
- Ensure grants are effectively managed and reported on in a timely and accurate manner
- Provide support to the CEO and Executive team on key relationships, as required
- Play a proactive role as a member of the organisation’s Senior Management Team in setting and managing the organisational strategy
- Share knowledge and skills of fundraising with mental health campaigners and partners involved in the Speak Your Mind campaign around the world as required
- Wide experience of working in a fundraising environment, ideally within a small team with global impact
- Experience developing and implementing organisation wide fundraising strategies across a range of sources and geographies with significant demonstrated experience in major donors and trusts/foundations, and experience with corporate partnerships and institutional funders
- Demonstrated experience securing and managing seven figure gifts and grants
- Strong experience in managing both restricted and unrestricted gifts and grants
- Experience in raising funds for campaigning organisations
- Ideally experience working in fundraising for international development and/or international relations
- Extensive knowledge of up to date fundraising best practice
- An understanding of role of campaigning at an international level including the role of advocacy organisations, national parliamentary processes and multi-lateral organisations
- Basic working knowledge of mental health and/or international development
Skills and Expertise:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to convert dense internal information into fundraising-friendly content for high value audiences.
- Excellent presentation and persuasion skills, both spoken and written
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Creative and pro-active
- Strong team working orientation, with the ability and social skills to work collaboratively with staff at all levels.
- Strong project management experience in terms of delivering multiple tasks to deadlines
- Political sensitivity and ability to apply good judgment in decision making
- Computer literacy including Word, Excel and PowerPoint (or equivalents)
- High level of initiative, efficiency and self-motivation
- Willingness to undertake administrative and tasks as required
- Willing and able to work out of hours to support fundraising events as and when required.
No agencies or consultants requested.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.