**PLEASE NOTE: To apply for this vacancy please ensure you firstly down load a copy of our application form from the documents section below and complete it. Click the 'apply' button and fill out your personal details in the relevant sections. Once you have submitted these you will be asked if you would like to attach anything. At this stage please attach the application form.**
A copy of your Job applicant data privacy notice is also available in the documents section.
UK for UNHCR is looking for a Communications Officer to join its team, raising vital support for displaced people around the world through creative campaigns such as The Refugee Dictionary, as well as fundraising appeals and partnerships.
Reporting to the PR Manager, the Communications Officer works across all the charity’s communications activity, with a particular focus on media relations and coordinating communications support for the charity’s partnerships.
This involves identifying opportunities to amplify appeals, campaigns and partnerships through media and communications, in order to support UK for UNHCR’s fundraising and public advocacy objectives. Raising awareness of global refugee crises and UNHCR’s humanitarian operations forms a central part of this storytelling, as well as thematic campaigns and PR moments throughout the year.
The Communications Officer also works with the wider Communications team to identify and support storytellers (including refugees and supporters), in order to share their stories through the charity and with media. This includes collaborating closely with the Senior Digital Communications Officer, who is responsible for the charity’s digital channels, including social media and website, and with the Communications Coordinator.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
United Kingdom for UNHCR is the United Nations Refugee Agency’s national charity partner for the United Kingdom. We generate public awareness of the plight of refugees and raise funds to help protect them through UNHCR’s humanitarian operations across the world.
Our supporters include UK private individuals, communities, corporate partners, trusts and foundations. The funds we raise help UNHCR deliver emergency relief such as shelter, medical care and basic supplies to people fleeing conflict and persecution, as well as healthcare, education and livelihoods opportunities for those who remain displaced over the long term.
Nobody chooses to be a refugee, but we can all play a part in their protection and we want those who work with us to share our values and passion for the cause.
We strongly value diversity and recognise that it is critical to our success and the cause that we serve. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all who work with us and strongly welcome applications from diverse backgrounds, and those with lived experience of being a refugee, asylum seeker, internally displaced person or a stateless person.
We are also open to flexibility in many different ways, including an element of working from home and flexible hours. Please don’t be afraid to speak to us about this at the interview stage, so we can explore what’s possible.
- Working with the PR Manager on media relations, including identifying opportunities to deliver UK for UNHCR messages in media, drafting media materials, preparing spokespeople and storytellers for interview, media briefings
- Acting as the focal point for partnership communications support (corporate partners, trusts and foundations)
- Drafting materials for the website and other communications, including use of images and video content
- Support the Communications Team with publications
- Work with the wider team to support communications of the charity’s events and community fundraisers, including content creation and media activities
- Report on the Communications team’s efforts and activities
- Provide other communications support as required, such social media posting and community management, commissioning content and maintaining the website
The above list is not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to perform duties in addition to those detailed above.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of drafting communications materials for a range of audiences
- Experience of working on PR campaigns or other creative campaigns for an external audience
- Experience understanding and repurposing complex information for an external audience
- Experience handling sensitive issues, and managing approval processes – a number of the crises where UNHCR is responding are highly complex, fluid and sensitive, supporting vulnerable people
- Ability to juggle and prioritise multiple tasks, and meet deadlines within a collaborative team environment
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to navigate and manage relationships with multiple stakeholders, internally and across UNHCR teams globally
- Ability to repurpose sometimes complex information into key messaging and external communications
- Able to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to achieve results
- Confident learning how to use various digital platforms such as social media channels and website CMS (e.g., WordPress)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office – i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sharepoint
- Awareness of safeguarding principles when working with vulnerable people
- Experience of, or a passionate interest in refugee or broader charity sector work
- Experience of working with journalists or in a media environment
- Experience of using image database / research library
First interviews: Estimated 23 February - 2 March