This role will be home based but with some days each month needed in our offices in Moorgate
UK for UNHCR (UK4U), the UN Refugee Agency's national charity partner, is looking for a Senior Advisor, Private Philanthropy to join us at a crucial time in our development. As a start-up, we are a small but high performing team with big ambitions. This pivotal new role will work closely with the CEO, Board of Trustees and senior fundraising colleagues to lead our programme of High Net Worth (HNW) and Ultra High Net Worth (UHNW) philanthropy.
Working alongside the UK4U fundraising team and UNHCR colleagues, this is an exciting opportunity to shape and lead the development of our philanthropy programme with HNW and UHNW individuals in the UK. This programme is a critical element of the charity’s new five-year strategy and will be closely supported by the CEO and an expanded Board of Trustees. You will not have line management responsibilities in the role, enabling you to focus your time on donor relationships and delivering bespoke engagement for our HNW/UHNW donors and prospects.
You will be an experienced philanthropy fundraiser, with demonstrated success in building relationships and raising six and seven-figure gifts from HNW/UHNW philanthropists in the UK. You will have experience of and be able to communicate and collaborate effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-cultural environment. You will have a passion for the refugee cause and be highly motivated to grow our pipeline of HNW/UHNW prospects and establish those relationships for UK for UNHCR over the next few years. You will work closely with a growing PPH team in the charity, as well as with fundraising colleagues in UNHCR’s Private Sector Partnerships unit, Europe Region and national markets.
Who We Are And What We Do
United Kingdom for UNHCR is the United Nations Refugee Agency’s national charity partner for the United Kingdom. We generate public awareness of the plight of refugees and raise funds to help protect them through UNHCR’s humanitarian operations across the world.
Our supporters include UK private individuals, communities, corporate partners, trusts and foundations. The funds we raise help UNHCR deliver emergency relief such as shelter, medical care and basic supplies to people fleeing conflict and persecution, as well as healthcare, education and livelihoods opportunities for those who remain displaced over the long term.
Nobody chooses to be a refugee, but we can all play a part in their protection and we want those who work with us to share our values and passion for the cause.
We strongly value diversity and recognise that it is critical to our success and the cause that we serve. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all who work with us and strongly welcome applications from diverse backgrounds and those with lived experience of being a refugee, asylum seeker, internally displaced person or a stateless person.
We are also open to flexibility in many different ways, including flexible hours and the ability to work from home primarily if you wish, with some days each month in our office in London (Moorgate). Please speak to us about this at the interview stage, so we can explore what’s possible.
- Lead in the identification, cultivation and stewardship of HNW, UHNW donors,prospects and those who could be influential in securing high level gifts for UK for UNHCR;
- Oversee UK4U’s strategy for HNW and UHNW fundraising, focusing on the priority streams identified in the charity’s new five-year strategy as well as adding new ones over time;
- Personally manage a pipeline and portfolio of prospects and donors with with the aim of securing gifts of six and seven-figure gifts;
- Work in tandem with UK4U’s Head of Major Donors and Trusts, Director of Fundraising, UNHCR’s Head of Private Philanthropy and other fundraising colleagues to deliver integrated relationship management of donors and prospects;
- Strategically utilise the CEO, Board Chair, Board Trustees and senior UNHCR colleagues to advance donor relationships;
- Identify and develop appropriate cultivation and stewardship events, liaising with UK for UNHCR and UNHCR colleagues for input;
- Ensure a prompt strategic and tactical response to HNW/UHNW donors and prospects in the event of humanitarian emergencies;
- Ensure database records are up-to-date, accurate and GDPR compliant;
- Work within UK4U’s and UNHCR’s due diligence policy and processes;
- Ensure accurate income recording and earmarking procedures to facilitate financial reporting.
Personal Attributes & Experience
- Senior level experience working with HNWIs and UHNWIs, leading them from identification to giving annual and multi-year gifts of six and seven figures;
- Experience of working alongside and supporting Board members and senior staff to identify and cultivate prospects and influencers;
- Experience in creating 3-5 year strategies and annual plans for HNW/UHNWI, which include KPIs;
- Experience of identifying potential HNW/UHNW donors, qualifying prospects and managing and growing a high level prospect pipeline;
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-cultural environment;
- Experience of creating high quality, high level donor events and engagements;
- Experience of using Salesforce or similar CRM products/fundraising databases.
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills;
- Ability to communicate complex themes and subjects in a compelling and engaging way in writing and verbally;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to motivate and engage HNW/UHNW donors and prospects in the cause;
- Knowledge and understanding of how to use influencers and connectors in the most effective way for the benefit of UK for UNHCR and the wider UNHCR organisation;
- Ability to be flexible and work in a fast-moving environment, leading on a wide range of tasks and projects simultaneously;
- Knowledge of tax efficient giving in the UK and current GDPR legislation and other regulatory compliance issues;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of the UN structure, working culture and ethics/ working in a global organisation;
- Knowledge of Islamic Philanthropy and experience of fundraising in the British Muslim charitable sector;
- Experience of working with colleagues of varying levels of experience and knowledge around the subject of private philanthropy.
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter. Please note that applications which are just generic cover letters or CVs without covering letters will not be considered. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by Wednesday 7th July. Interviews will be held w/c 12th July and w/c 19th July.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.