We are seeking an experienced finance professional who can help our organsation to reach new heights through strong financial planning, communication, leadership, and ambition. We are part-way through our first year of our 2021-24 strategic plan which aims to transform the organisation into a central part of student life at the University of Northampton. As an organisation which is proud of its diverse membership, we would also like to encourage applications from people of colour and people with disabilitiesto help senior leadership team better reflect our membership.
The duties of the post holder are:
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Lead the development, management and delivery of NSU’s finance, commercial, and insights activity.
- Responsible for driving income generation across the Union, including but not limited to; partnerships, services, sponsorship, and fundraising.
- As part of the Senior Leadership Team, lead UNSU strategic and operational planning; enabling the delivery of NSU’s priorities and projects.
- Oversee, via delegated budget holders, budgets for the Membership Services and other NSU functions, including production of annual budgets and reporting on cashflow, and I&E variances monthly as required.
- Manage the relationship between NSU and the University’s Director of Finance, ensuring there is open, transparent, and regular dialogue between the two organisations, and that there is confidence and assurance in NSU’s activity.
- Deputise for the Chief Executive Officer by representing them and NSU at NSU, University or External meetings, events and other engagements.
- As the senior manager responsible for the finance, commercial, and insights functions, oversee recruitment, selection, induction and ongoing leadership of relevant staff.
- Support the Trustee’s Finance and Risk Committee and Chief Executive Officer by taking operational responsibility for managing the financial sustainability and statutory compliance of the Students’ Union.
- Accountable for the maintenance of financial, legal and risk controls across all services including compliance with all financial processes and procedures including ensuring submission of relevant information requested in a timely fashion.
- Oversee the year end statutory accounts preparation and audit, ensuring clear and timely communication of outcomes with relevant stakeholders
- Lead on the annual internal audit process, ensuring that actions are followed up and reported to the University’s audit committee.
- Lead on the development and maintenance of NSU’s Risk Register, working with the board and NSU staff to ensure progress against agreed actions and the identification of new risks.
- Ensure the department’s operations are compliant with national and local legal requirements including Health & Safety and NSU’s internal policy and procedures.
- Take overall responsibility for all health and safety matters within the organisation by chairing the internal Health, Safety and Risk Committee.
- Lead the finance team to ensure the accurate and timely production of monthly management accounts.
- Ensure a strong internal control framework and effective financial policies and procedures are in place and actioned.
- Be responsible for the SU’s payroll system and ensuring that PAYE regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure that insurance cover is adequate for all areas of the SU, whilst maintaining value for money.
- Manage relationships with University finance staff, NSU auditors, tax advisors, insurance providers and banks.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.