The role of the Development, Alumni Relations and Events Office (DARE) is to sustain and grow the relationship between the University and our global community of supporters – alumni, donors and friends - and to increase the University’s sustainable philanthropic income. DARE is now at an exciting point in its journey as the University is actively planning for an institution-wide fundraising Campaign, led by the President and Vice-Chancellor.
The Senior Development Manager (Maternity Cover) will be a member of a team of experienced major gift fundraisers, and will play an important role in developing productive gift relationships and growing the pool of major prospects and donors.
You will report to, and work closely with, the Head of Fundraising to develop a sustained flow of 6+ major gifts and to contribute to the development of a successful and effective Campaigns team. Key responsibilities will include managing and developing a portfolio of relationships with senior prospects and high net worth donors, and working closely with senior academics and other University managers to enable them to play an active role in the cultivation and stewardship of major prospects and donors.
As a member of a performance-driven team led by the Head of Fundraising, you will also work closely with the Director of Advancement and with other members of the Development, Alumni Relations and Events Office (DARE) to contribute to its long-term success.
Deliver a sustained flow of major gifts
• Manage a portfolio of a proportion of the University’s highest-ranking prospective and actual major gift donors, maintaining close personal relationships with each prospect and creating sustained and active relationships with the University’s senior academics and, where appropriate, students
• Identify and research major prospects using the support of the Research Team within DARE and, personally cultivate and solicit major gifts in a sensitive and timely way – primarily from individuals (e.g. alumni, former staff, and friends of the University)
• Provide appropriate support, when required by the Head of Fundraising, to the cultivation and stewardship of trusts and foundations and corporate prospects and donors.
• Devise personalised strategies for each prospect including an active visit programme in accordance with your agreed targets and objectives. This will involve UK travel and overnight stays
• Develop long-term relations between the University and current and prospective major donors, including seeking, in consultation with the Director of Advancement, non-financial support where appropriate. For example, gifts in kind and volunteering opportunities.
• Deliver an ambitious overall major gift fundraising target whether ‘in Campaign’ or not.
• Personally cultivate and solicit major gifts in a sensitive and timely way - primarily from individuals (e.g. alumni, former staff, parents of students, and friends of the University)
• When required by the Head of Fundraising be responsible for a number of departmental and faculty fundraising initiatives
• Work closely with senior academic and other Professional Services colleagues, and with external volunteers, to enable them to play an active role in encouraging greater philanthropic giving
Contribute to the development of an effective Campaigns’ team
• Produce regular performance reports for the Director of Advancement and Head of Fundraising as required
• Ensure that gifts received are used at the University in accordance with the donor’s wishes, which may involve liaison with the Finance Office and different University departments, and that donors receive appropriate feedback and updates on the use and outcomes of their gifts
• Ensure that gifts are solicited and accepted in line with the University’s ethical policies
• Ensure that accurate records of developing relationships are maintained and ensure information gathered is available to other members of the Development, Alumni Relations and Events Office teams
• Work with all members of the Development, Alumni Relations and Events Office in promoting excellence in fundraising and alumni engagement
• Keep abreast of best practice in major gifts fundraising and propose ways to improve the effectiveness of fundraising at the University
• Any other duties, commensurate with the grade of the post