This organisation is scheduling interviews as the applications come in. Don’t miss your opportunity, apply now!
Uplift have an opportunity for an experienced and highly motivated Press Officer to join their team. This is an exciting opportunity to promote the UK’s ambitious movement to phase out oil and gas extraction in the UK. Uplift is a campaigning and research organisation helping to move the UK towards a fossil fuel-free future and to support a just transition away from fossil fuel production.
As Uplift’s Press Officer, you will play a central role in ensuring that our messages, research, and campaigns influence public and political debate through the media. Your role will involve working with researchers and campaigners in Uplift to place stories, making the most of reactive opportunities, and ensuring key journalists are fully briefed on the public case for the UK’s transition away from oil and gas extraction. The role involves understanding the politics of UK energy policy, including the influence of the oil and gas industry, and how this can be challenged and shaped in the public interest through the media.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Monitor coverage and react to stories with comment and spokespeople
- Draft and issue proactive and reactive press materials, such as press releases, briefings and comment
- Plan to make the most of opportunities around relevant calendar hooks and announcements
- Maintain and update media lists and a network of spokespeople
- Coordinate with colleagues in research and campaign teams on wider campaign strategy and tactics
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience of working within a similar press officer role
- Track record of securing national, regional and broadcast coverage
- Good relationships with relevant UK national journalists
- Creative thinking and excellent writing skills, with the ability to communicate with a range of audiences, for example, political audiences, or tabloid press
- Excellent news sense, with a strong working knowledge of the UK media
- Keen interest in and understanding of UK politics
- A strong commitment to Uplift’s mission and core values of equity and climate justice.
The Press Officer will report to Tamasin Cave, Uplift’s Strategic Communications Advisor
Location: UK, can be home-based
Hours: Standard working hours 9.00 - 17.30, but some availability for early starts and weekends will be required
Benefits: 3% employer pension contribution, Employee Assistance Programme, consideration of flexible working requirements and work/workplace adjustments where required
Starting date: ASAP
Proposed Interviews: We are shortlisting applicants and inviting them to interview on a rolling basis.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.