upReach is seeking to hire a Programme Manager to deliver one of the charity’s Sector focused Programmes. This is an exciting opportunity to directly contribute to the growth of the charity by managing multiple employer partnership relationships and leading a delivery team of Programme Coordinators to recruit and support Associates (the Undergraduates we support) who are interested in pursuing a career in Professional Services & Consulting.
Do you think that your socio-economic background should determine your career prospects? upReach’s vision is of a society in which everybody has an equal opportunity to realise their full career potential. We help young people from less-advantaged backgrounds achieve their career potential by providing an intensive programme of support that addresses socio-economic barriers to graduate employment.
Our work is important because right now a student from a disadvantaged background who gains a first-class degree from a top university is less likely to secure an elite job than a more privileged student with a 2.2.
We are an award-winning charity employer working to address this issue in partnership with employers and universities. Building on the success of the past five years, upReach’s current partners include Bank of America, the Civil Service Fast Stream, Deloitte, EY, KPMG, PwC, and Slaughter and May. We also partner with universities including Exeter, King’s College London, Liverpool, Warwick and Manchester.
This academic year, over 2,700 undergraduates (we call them upReach Associates) are being supported through our unique programme of application support, soft skills workshops, video forums (small group, online seminar-style sessions), mentoring and professional experience.
Programme Manager: This individual will play a pivotal role in delivering one of the upReach Sector-focused Programmes – Professional Services & Consulting. Reporting to the Head of Sector Programmes & Mentoring, they will grow and improve the resourcing of upReach’s Professional Services & Consulting Programmes – from relationship management and event & opportunity planning to programme delivery and evaluation. They will work alongside the delivery leadership team to form plans and strategies for upReach’s general Associate recruitment, programme delivery and team management. They will also work closely with the Employer Partnerships Manager and their teams to ensure that all Professional Services & Consulting employer relationships are managed effectively.
Role: Programme Manager (Professional Services & Consulting)
Location: Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham or London.
Hours: Full-time 40 hours per week, 9am - 6pm
Start date: Beginning of November 2021
Reporting to: Head of Sector Programmes and Mentoring
Salary: £26,500 to £33,000 pro rata per annum (including London weighting if based in London)
Application deadline: 9am on 15th October 2021. Early applications are encouraged, and we may appoint before the deadline.
Programme Design & Delivery:
- Contribute to strategic decisions concerning the design and delivery of the Sector focused Programmes, creating a 12 month plan in advance of the start of each recruitment cycle.
- Work with the Head of Sector Programmes and Mentoring to design learning journeys (including events & opportunities) for Professional Services & Consulting Associates
- Oversee the development and creation of resources and planning and delivery of events and opportunities relevant to the unique needs of the participants in the Professional Services & Consulting Sector focused Programmes.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the Professional Services & Consulting Sector focused Programmes with overarching responsibility for meeting internal engagement and application success KPIs.
- Maintain strong relationships with Professional Services & Consulting employer partners, including managing quarterly/annual reporting requirements on stakeholder KPIs.
- Manage a team of (2-3) Programme Coordinators in a variety of locations - providing weekly 1-to-1 support, reviews and personal development support.
- Ensure Programme Coordinators document all interactions with Associates and application progress.
- Use relevant dashboards and data to set Programme Coordinator priorities.
- Manage Programme Coordinator progress to ensure that all stakeholder KPIs are achieved.
- Contribute to strategic decisions concerning the resourcing of the Sector focused Programmes.
- Be part of the upReach Management Team and contribute to forming the strategy and direction of the charity.
- Individual and small group work with Associates - coaching 40 Associates to take the day-to-day steps needed to realise their career potential, which might include pastoral support, career guidance, and support with job applications.
This position would be suited to individuals who are committed to upReach’s mission and have an understanding of, and empathy with, the challenges facing those from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
To be successful you should have at least 3 years experience working in programme delivery, stakeholder management and leading small teams. You should be able to demonstrate a proven track record in building, developing and owning effective long-term relationships with new and existing partners, and in managing stakeholder relationships at all levels of seniority. The ideal candidate will be proactive, resilient and used to managing competing priorities within a varied workload. They should be flexible and willing to perform varying duties depending on the shifting needs of the charity.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and working independently to find solutions to problems.
- Ability to engage and flex communication style confidently with a variety of stakeholders, such as beneficiaries, upReach partners and all levels of employees across the organisation.
- Experience working directly with key stakeholders to manage and grow a relationship and/or partnership.
- Excellent influencing, facilitation and communication skills (both oral and written) and be comfortable preparing and presenting reports and proposals to senior management and external stakeholders.
- Line management or team leadership experience.
- Strong programme management and problem solving skills, in addition to superb organisational skills to manage a varied workload.
- Self-motivation and an ability to work in a small team as well as independently, with a creative and a proactive attitude.
- At least a Grade ‘B’ in Maths and English GCSE (if you have extenuating circumstances, let us know)*
- University degree (2:1 or higher)* in any discipline, or equivalent experience.
* The nature of the role requires a high standard of Maths and English, and the ability to quickly review a large amount of information and identify and communicate key themes clearly. Applicants may demonstrate this through the academic qualifications shown above and/or other relevant experience. As our beneficiaries are all undergraduates, a good understanding of the university experience is essential, although it is not necessary that this was acquired through personally gaining a degree.
- Project management qualifications or comparable experience.
- Experience delivering all aspects of a programme end to end, from design to reporting and evaluation.
- Experience in marketing a programme or campaign.
- Familiarity with G Suite and Zoom video conferencing software.