Hours: full-time, 35 hours per week
Salary: -£44,420 (London) £41 350 (Rest of the UK) pro-rata if applicable
Contract type: Permanent
Travel: Travel to our shared workspaces
Closing date: by midnight Sunday 19th July
Download the job description and person specification
Summary and role
We are Versus Arthritis. We are fundraisers, programme managers, volunteers, administrators, editors and accountants all doing everything we can to push back against arthritis. Together, we'll continue to develop breakthrough treatments, campaign relentlessly for arthritis to be seen as a priority and support each other whenever we need it. Together, we're making real progress. But there's still a long way to go, and we won't stop until no-one has to tolerate living with the pain, fatigue and isolation of arthritis.
The next few years represent a unique opportunity for the charity to do more, more effectively, to positively impact on the lives of people with arthritis across the UK and everyone who works for us will have an important role to play. The Governance team is the interface between the executive team, trustees and committee members and provides seamless support to the work of the Board and its Committees.
You will be expected to proactively develop highly effective and customer focused relationships with trustees, committee members and colleagues in order to provide and promote good governance practice, ensuring compliance, regulation and supporting our aims. These processes are crucial to the charity's regulatory responsibilities, ensuring that the charity fulfils its statutory duties and functions.
The successful candidate will have proven ability in people and project management, excellent communication skills and a strong track record of delivering improvements to governance systems and processes.
* Drive process improvement in governance, reviewing and revising processes and structures to adapt to the needs of the Chair, Chief Executive, Committee Chairs, Trustees and Executive
* Ensure the smooth running of Versus Arthritis' main Board and its committees. Manage the processes for timely delivery of support and information to Trustees in accordance with the Governance Action Plan and best practice ensuring high quality papers board packs for meetings and and effective meeting follow-up.
* Promote the policy management process, working with colleagues to ensure effective development and approval of policies and ensure timely scheduling for the approval and review of policies at Board level.
* Good working knowledge of governance and regulatory compliance within the UK charity sector and experience of monitoring and reporting on compliance issues, e.g. Charity Governance Code, GDPR, Health & Safety Executive guidance, Safeguarding.
* Experience of working in a governance role in a charity, private or public setting in a paid or non-paid setting. of working in a governance role in a charity, private or public setting
* Good working knowledge of company law sufficient to ensuring compliance with reporting requirements and knowing when to seek expert advice
* Evidence of the ability to manage people and programmes of work
* Proven ability to create and adapt processes that demonstrate regulatory compliance and promote the right behaviours of stakeholders
* Excellent communication and inter-personal skills to be able to support and gain the confidence of Trustees and senior managers
* Ability to manage a team to provide quality service delivery and customer care
How to apply
To apply you MUST submit:
1. a concise, up-to-date CV
2. along with a completed supporting statement maximum of 2 pages, demonstrating how you meet the key requirements set out in the job description and person specification
Email your completed application by midnight Sunday 19th July
First interviews expected: In July, Dates to be confirmed
(Please note we withhold the right to withdraw the vacancy at any time)
Arthritis causes pain, fatigue and isolation for 17.8 million people in the UK every single day. It can impact on the ability to work, our relationships and take away our independence. We don't accept this.
We are Versus Arthritis. We are volunteers, healthcare professionals, researchers and friends, all doing everything we can to push back against arthritis. We're reaching out to everybody with the information and support they need, funding vital research and changing the way society sees arthritis. Together we'll keep running, researching, in?uencing, volunteering, advising, chatting, baking, listening. We won't stop until no-one has to tolerate living with the pain, fatigue and isolation of arthritis.
Join us and use your skills, knowledge, passion and energy to help us defy arthritis.