Media and Public Relations Officer
Benefits: Read more about the excellent benefits we offer on our profile page
Travel: If based in Chesterfield, some travel will be required to our London office for team meetings (once a month) and other essential meetings and events.
Join us and use your skills, knowledge, passion and energy to help us achieve a future free from arthritis.
We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic media relations specialist to join the Strategic Communications team and contribute to some of the biggest stories in health and research. You will help raise the profile of arthritis and the charity via news and current affairs across the UK. A key responsibility will be securing impactful media coverage that supports our influencing and campaigning objectives.
You’ll be a key member of the Income and Engagement Directorate, the team that inspires people to give their money, their time and their voice to make a difference to people with arthritis.
About the role
This role will help build understanding of the issues affecting people with arthritis in line with high-profile and impactful news and PR coverage, via a programme of media targeting and journalist engagement. Working with teams and colleagues across the charity, including Policy, Public Affairs, Campaigns and Research, the role will maximise coverage and reach through combining news, PR, and social media tactics.
As part of the Press Office, you will participate in the out-of-hours and reactive rota - spotting opportunities, responding to daily media enquiries, engaging with journalists and reacting quickly and confidently to developing issues and breaking news.
If your knowledge, skills and experience include the following then we’d love to hear from you:
- An up-to-date understanding of the UK media environment and knowledge of how to engage journalists across broadcast, print and online media outlets.
- Experience in a campaigning press office or government relations, influencing, thinktank or journalism role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including social media.
- Experience of using investigative approaches, data, case studies and comments to gain coverage.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced media environment drafting and agreeing media statements and releases based on key messages, working constructively with colleagues.
- An interest in improving the lives of people with arthritis and the willingness to gain knowledge of arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions.
*As a hybrid worker the expectation is that you will spend around 40% of your working time in our office spaces or working in community settings. As an inclusive employer we will consider home-based working for anyone where office-based hybrid working would be a barrier to being able to work for us, for example for someone living with a long-term health condition or disability.
Your excellent benefits include:
- Flexible hours, environments and working practices to promote a healthy work/life balance.
- Health and wellbeing support – including the Employee Assistance Programme (free confidential 24/7 support with mental health, legal and financial queries).
- Simplyhealth cash plan.
- Supportive and inclusive culture, with a wide range of employee networks and support groups available to join.
- Learning and personal development opportunities.
- Competitive annual leave, with the option to buy/sell up to five days per year.
- Generous pension plan, with employer contribution of up to 10%.
- Life Assurance plan (4 x salary).
Application deadline and shortlisting
- We advise candidates to apply early as we reserve the right to close applications ahead of this date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We do not wish to receive contact from agencies or media sales.
Interview dates to be confirmed.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we guarantee you will be offered an interview if you disclose a disability and demonstrate sufficient evidence within your application that you meet the essential criteria for this role. We will also make any reasonable adjustments you may require for your interview.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.