Location: London, with occasional travel required throughout UK
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Benefits: Read more about what we offer on our website
Contract type: Permanent
Closing date: By 9am on 10 February
Download the job description and person specification for the public affairs officer role (available on our website).
We are looking for a skilled Public Affairs Officer to join our high-performing Policy and Public Affairs team. Help us to push back the limits of arthritis and make sure people get the support they need.
About the role
The Policy and Public Affairs team works to identify the policy changes that are needed to transform the lives of people with arthritis, influence decision-makers through our public affairs work, and mobilise people with arthritis who campaign with us.
This is an exciting time for our team as we introduce the merged charity to public affairs audiences and build on recent successes. This role is instrumental to the charity’s public affairs activities; the Public Affairs Officer will be responsible for delivering a programme of parliamentary events and coordinating our presence at party conferences. The successful candidate will be able to help shape our engagement with MPs, take forward our Arthritis Champions programme, and implement influencing strategies that aim to change the lives of people with arthritis across the country.
- Good experience of working in a public affairs, parliamentary and/or policy environment, including effective delivery of influencing strategies that encompass public affairs, policy, campaigns and/or social media.
- Strong experience of building productive working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrable ability to synthesise complex policy information into external-facing briefings and materials for public affairs audiences.
- Excellent organisational skills, with experience of planning and delivering events to a high standard.
- A flexible approach, with the ability to adapt to the needs of the organisation and unforeseen external developments.
- Good attention to detail; consistently produces accurate work and identifies errors.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, with the ability to adapt style and message for a variety of audiences.
- Good written communication skills; a clear writing style.
- Enthusiasm for the role and commitment to transforming the lives of people with arthritis.
How to apply
To apply you MUST submit:
- a concise, up-to-date CV.
- along with a completed supporting statement (available from our website) of no longer than two sides demonstrating how you meet the key requirements set out in the job description and person specification for the public affairs officer role (available from our website).
- Please include where you’ve seen this role advertised.
Visit our website to view the job description and for details on how to apply.
First interviews expected: 17 and 19 February in London
Second interviews expected: 25 and 28 February in London
Arthritis causes pain, fatigue and isolation for 17.8 million people in the UK every single day. It can impact on the ability to work, our relationships and take away our independence. We don’t accept this.
We are Versus Arthritis. We are volunteers, healthcare professionals, researchers and friends, all doing everything we can to push back against arthritis. We’re reaching out to everybody with the information and support they need, funding vital research and changing the way society sees arthritis. Together we’ll keep running, researching, inﬂuencing, volunteering, advising, chatting, baking, listening. We won’t stop until no-one has to tolerate living with the pain, fatigue and isolation of arthritis.
Join us and use your skills, knowledge, passion and energy to help us defy arthritis.
Read more about what we do, working for us and what we offer.
Happy to Talk Flexible Working
Promoting equality in the workplace.
Versus Arthritis is a Registered Charity No: 207711 and in Scotland No. SC041156.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.