Are you ….?
- A talented leader of ventures focused on values and purpose?
- Looking to bring talented teams together to work in a self-directed, aligned way?
- Able to co-create and drive a clear, strategic vision and carry it through to execution?
Impact Hub Islington, Impact Hub Brixton and the Health Foundry are looking to recruit a combined General Manager to lead our high-performing teams, strategy, and operations.
We are looking for somebody with a clear vision on how our hubs can create tangible impact for our local communities in London and the wider city. Our work is far beyond providing co-working space; we leverage our infrastructure (space, values-led community, talent, resources) to generate meaningful employment opportunities, to drive community-led change, to promote the social impact sector, to help businesses to start, and more.
The ideal candidate has the experience, passion, and skills to deliver on the key responsibilities of the current businesses as well as the ability to drive a vision for the next stage of development and growth. The candidate should thoroughly enjoy this type of role, bring out the best in the team and have fun while doing it.
IMPACT HUB ISLINGTON
Impact Hub Islington opened in 2005 as a space to connect, inspire and enable people with entrepreneurial ideas for a better world. The movement went on to inspire over 80 globally connected, locally-embedded Impact Hubs across 5 continents, supporting over 15,000 members. Impact Hub Islington currently supports around 170 members from across a wide range of backgrounds and sectors and is located near Old Street in Islington. It has recently moved to a new building in collaboration with Islington Council and has the opportunity to make its community, resources and talent available to support positive change for the local area. There are currently 5 core staff (incl. GM) at 3.3 FTE, which will soon grow to 7 people at 4.5FTE.
IMPACT HUB BRIXTON
Impact Hub Brixton is opened in May 2014 and supports around 170 members, many from the Lambeth area. Impact Hub Brixton is located in Pop Brixton until October 2018, and has a large focus on supporting community-led change in the local area and has many plans to deepen this work over the upcoming year. It has a core team of 5 people (incl. GM) at circa 3.0 FTE.
Opened in September 2016, Health Foundry aims to improve health and wellbeing by bringing together a wide range of people, start-ups and organisations and supporting them to create scalable digital health solutions. It is powered by Guy’s and St Thomas Charity, is designed and operated by 00, and works in close partnership with DigitalHealth.London Accelerator.
Now in our 7th month and with over 100 members, our ambition for the coming year is to continue supporting our members to grow, to connect them with opportunities and people across the local health system and to increase the health system’s ability to adopt new digital health innovations. Health Foundry will have a core team of 5 people at circa 3.5 FTE.
This is a 1 year contract full-time position and the General Manager will split their time across the three locations, working 2 days per week at Impact Hubs Brixton and Islington and 1 day per week at the Health Foundry. We also are open to applications from people who would like to work part-time in any combination of these roles (for example, 2 days a week at one of the Impact Hubs only, 1 day per week at Health Foundry only, 3 days per week at an Impact Hub + Health Foundry, or 4 days per week at 2 Impact Hubs).
Over the last 2+ years, Impact Hub Islington and Impact Hub Brixton have shared a GM as a full-time role and this has worked successfully. The current General Manager is going on Maternity Leave in June 2017 and the Impact Hubs are streamlining the GM role while recruiting for cover over this 1 year contract.
The Health Foundry has recently secured ongoing funding for the period of April 2017- April 2018 and requires a new General Manager to support the team in delivering on our ambitious strategy for the coming year.
The General Manager will be supported by - and report to - small teams of Directors at each location. They will work alongside part-time consultants who will lead on financial management, strategic oversight/support and monitoring and reporting of the enterprises.
Responsibilities of the role include:
Culture: build and maintain a positive and inspiring work culture
- identify and implement new practices to build on the culture of the organisations
- maintain and drive a positive, innovative, and inspiring work culture for both individual well-being and collective achievement
Team: managing hiring and on-boarding, overall management and achievement of the teams; ongoing review of team structure & performance with the Board
- manage hiring and on-boarding of new employees
- day-to-day management of the teams
- set and monitor team KPIs and goals
- support the team’s growth and professional development
Operations: responsible for continuous improvement on operational effectiveness
- ensuring excellent & efficient operations
- identify, propose and execute new systems and processes with the teams
Vision and Strategy: driving forward to overall vision for impact, working with the Board and team to agree and execute strategy
- guide the overall impact vision and plan to achieve it
- lead strategy days and meetings with the team and Board to agree to upcoming plans
- execute the agreed Strategic Plan
Risk: identifying and mitigating risk together with the Board
- manage potential business risks and vulnerabilities
- propose and execute risk mitigation strategies in consultation with the Board
Sales / attraction: overseeing the marketing and attraction strategy to achieve engagement and income targets (Impact Hubs only)
- oversee the positioning of the Impact Hubs and its core messaging
- design, approval and execution of marketing and attraction strategy with the team
- source and manage special projects and additional sources of income with the team
As Impact Hubs are part of a global network, the role will require communication with teams from other local Impact Hubs in the global network and supporting the local teams at Islington and Brixton to identify appropriate representation and engagement.
Concrete demonstrable experience, qualifications and skills include:
- At least 5 years leadership and management experience with a track record of effectively leading and scaling a purpose driven venture to create meaningful impact
- An experienced leader of collaborative, self-directed teams
- A strategic thinker who can balance the needs of impact, team and finance
- Practical knowledge of running ventures in the social enterprise / impact / community business sectors
- Experience in the contractual and legal aspects of being an employer
- Experience working with a Board of Directors or executives, with the ability to build a collaborative relationship
- Strong communications, marketing and sales experience with the ability to develop strong core partnerships
- Mission-driven, self-directed, positive attitude and integrity
You will have the opportunity to work and collaborate with a driven, entrepreneurial, and talented local and international team. You will also be rewarded with a salary of £37,000 p.a. a £500 per year training budget and a Pension scheme. You will have the opportunity to liaise and collaborate with Impact Hub teams around the world, and will be rewarded with 20 days holiday plus additional holiday when we close between the Christmas and New Year period.
The client is happy to conduct telephone interviews for overseas candidates.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.