Immigration is one of the key debates within UK politics and the media. IMIX is working to ensure that debate includes voices from migrants and those who support them. We work alongside the refugee and migration sector to shift public attitudes on migration and create an open and welcoming Britain for people who make the UK their home. We offer training and support to partners across the UK as well working with journalists to place stories about refugee protection, asylum support and general migration issues.
We’re a flexible employer. We know our line of work is tough so well-being and mutual support are important to us.
We are looking for an experienced media director to support our high performing team to work across the migration space to find case studies, train spokespeople, craft messages / campaign material and talk to journalists. We’re a small but effective team so we’re looking for someone who is as happy thinking strategically as they are briefing journalists on key issues.
We’re all about collaboration, open communication and putting the audience first. If you appreciate audience insight, the importance of value-based messaging and why story telling matters when encouraging people to act we’d love to hear from you.
We are working hard on our diversity and are particularly keen to hear from people with lived experience of the UK immigration system. The successful candidate must have the right to work in the UK.
To champion media excellence and engagement within the refugee and migration sector; build relationships with UK media outlets – including digital news providers – to tell stories of migration; and support partners to improve their confidence in working with journalists.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and manage the high-performing regional communications team and strategic communications manager
- Implement and develop a media strategy
- Work with partners to create stories to pitch to national and local media
- Support sector organisations to better understand the UK media landscape and build their confidence
- Providing briefings on media stories and approaches
- Build relationships across the UK media
- Deep knowledge and senior experience of delivering strategic communications as part of a wider change strategy
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK Media
- Messaging and framing
- Experience with delivering crisis communications
- Understanding of or empathy with the refugee and migration sector
- Understanding of or empathy with people subject to immigration control
- Excellent written and spoken English, with expert communication and presentation skills
- Excellent coaching skills
- Be able to assess and respond to the assets and challenges of a range of partners, planning and delivering appropriate capacity building activities
- Ability to maintain positive relationships
- Exceptional communication, collaboration, influencing and problem-solving skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills with ability to negotiate and manage multiple priorities
- Line management or similar experience
- Working in the media, a PR agency or charity press officer
- Working across organisations to agree on campaign messages and tactics
- Storytelling and case study generation to encourage others to act
Terms and Conditions
- Salary: £42,000 per annum pro rata
- Working hours: Full-time (35 hours/week) consideration given to jobshare/part time working
- Start date: asap
- Holidays: 28 days per annum plus UK public holidays
- IMIX offers a workplace pension
- Length of contract: permanent
- Location: Home based with some travel
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.