ASSISTANT MANAGER (Weekend)
ROLE AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Permanent, part time 14 hours
Remuneration - competitive
The Vision Foundation has been supporting and speaking out on behalf of blind and partially sighted people across London for close to 100 years.
Formerly known as the Greater London Fund for the Blind, we support organisations that provide a necessary lifeline and essential resource for London’s visually impaired community.
But people living with sight loss in the capital are facing significant and growing challenges, and ever worsening life chances. Meanwhile, a very high and growing number of people are needlessly going blind. We have identified that the Vision Foundation can play a critical and unique role in both saving sight and transforming lives by working in partnership with others to deliver projects which inform, empower, and include.
A new strategy, launched along with our new name in October 2019, gives us the opportunity to have more impact than ever before. We will work to improve the opportunities, wellbeing, and inclusion for blind and partially sighted people. We will do more to ensure London is open and welcoming to the visually impaired community across employment, and social and cultural spaces. We will strive to reduce loneliness and isolation. And we will ensure that blind and partially sighted people further marginalised through homelessness, poverty or domestic violence are reached. Above all, we will emphasise what people can do, rather than what they cannot.
But our work is more than just providing support. It’s also about amplifying voices to ensure that blind and partially sighted are heard. And it is about changing our society and the systems that structure it, by inspiring more people to advocate and take action.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Weekend Assistant Manager to share the running of our Hampton Hill outlet. You must be committed to creating an outstanding shopping experience for our supporters and have experience of driving sales plus increasing donations from your local area.
Recruiting and maintaining a team of volunteers is also a requirement, together with administering to the business needs of this outlet.
Vision Foundation operates a small number of shops selling donated goods as part of its income generation strategy, with an ambitious programme of more openings over the next 5 years.
An understanding of charity retail would be a distinct advantage.
The role demands a great blend of skills, along with the belief that every blind and partially sighted Londoner should be able to lead their life to the full. As an equal opportunities’ employer, the Vision Fund welcomes applicants from all backgrounds irrespective of race, religion, belief, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Hampton Hill TW12 1NY
Working Hours and Contract
PUPOSE OF JOB
- Recruit, lead and manage a team of volunteers to ensure that both sales and retail objectives are achieved
- Ensure that customers, volunteers, and the community have an awareness and understanding of our mission to effectively deliver the related objectives of the shop
- Create a culture of excellent customer service within the shop to build relationships, maximise sales, convert footfall into sales and ensure customers are encouraged to make repeat visits
- Deliver training and support on relevant policies, procedures, and ways of working to the team to ensure appropriate knowledge in maintained
- Ensure the effective pricing of items to ensure that revenues are maximised, items are sold, and sales targets are met.
- Ensure that the visual presentation of the shop and stock attract customers into the shop to promote sales and generate revenue
- Be accountable for ensuring that the shop is continuously stocked with saleable items to deliver sales revenue targets
- Manage the shops costs within the stated operational budget and provide regular updates to the shop manager to effectively monitor financial performance indicators
- To achieve compliance with relevant regulation e.g. health and safety, whilst adhering to all policies and procedures
- To promote strong relations within the local community to enhance the profile and good name of the charity
- To deliver shop income plan on both donated and gift aided items
- To achieve gift aid donation objectives, suggesting improvements to deliver maximum value, coaching colleagues to success
HR & Comms
- To develop a culture of ownership and follow up within own team
- To induct, train and coach new volunteers, as evidenced through induction paperwork and development plans
- To role model and promote effective team communication, celebrating success and sharing best practice
- To liaise closely with the shop management team
- To work with general systems such as Microsoft Word, Excel and email programmes
- To role model exceptional customer service, providing constructive feedback in a timely manner
- To ensure the highest standards of customer care and service are demonstrated by self and volunteers
- Promote, monitor and act on customer feedback
- To evidence effective local networking to generate donations and volunteer engagement, including local business and other stakeholders
- To monitor and check security of cash and stock, and debrief variances with shop manager
- To proactively assess own development needs and seek out development opportunities to enhance contribution to Retail objectives and operations
- To take ownership of good housekeeping for all areas of responsibility
- To accept responsibility and carry out any other task commensurate to the role
PERSON SPECIFICATION: ASSISTANT MANAGER
Knowledge and skills
- Experience of leading teams, ideally in an outcomes-focused organisation.
- Experience of recruiting, developing, mentoring and managing volunteers.
- Demonstrable motivation and negotiation skills, able to build personal credibility and successful relationships at all levels.
- Experience in retail and volunteer management
- GCSE C or equivalent in Mathematics and English
- The ability to work under pressure whilst remaining calm and organised
- To be receptive to change and to act as a change agent
- The ability to maintain excellent rapport with staff, volunteers, supporters, and donors
- To demonstrate a calm and logical approach to problem solving
- To consistently demonstrate a dedicated approach to the quality of customer service and team working.
- Comfortable working in a small team both strategically and operationally
- Commitment to teamwork, business partnering and a collegiate approach – with a ‘can do’ attitude and a sense of humour.
- Able to provide positive, dynamic, tenacious, and flexible leadership at all times.
- Results-driven, able to measure and quantify own outcomes.
- Adaptable to changing landscape and evolving organisation.
- Willing and able to operate at pace in an organisation going through rapid change, using your initiative, and delivering to tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organised with ability to plan effectively and allocate resources appropriately.
- An understanding of and commitment to London’s blind and partially sighted people.
Please submit a Cover Letter and CV.