Thank you for your interest in becoming Finance Manager at the Vision Foundation.
This is a demanding role but hugely satisfying too, combining responsibilities and ambitions within a tightknit team in a small charity – but a charity that punches well above its weight.
We at the Vision Foundation believe passionately that people living with sight loss should have the same opportunities as anyone else. We strive to ensure London is a city that works for everyone and that avoidable sight loss is prevented. The coronavirus crisis has affected all of us, but we are not affected equally. For blind and partially sighted people - an already isolated, disadvantaged and socially excluded group - the effects have been amplified.
The Vision Foundation is a sector leader in London standing up for the rights and freedoms of people living with sight loss. The charity funds organisations providing front-line projects and services across the capital, and works collaboratively through researching, building capacity, funding and investing, and advocacy. Perhaps unusually for a foundation, we raise funds for our grantmaking and support through an energetic fundraising team and a small but important retail operation. This role will work with and alongside fundraising and retail to ensure we maximise the income for the charity, to enable us to give as much as we can to benefit blind and partially sighted Londoners.
Our work is more than just providing support. It’s also about amplifying voices to ensure that blind and partially sighted people are heard. And it’s about changing our society and the systems that structure it, by inspiring more people to advocate and take action.
We’ve been going for a hundred years but following a cultural and organisational re-shaping, including a new strategy and rebrand last year, we have many of the characteristics of a start-up. We have energy and drive, we move at pace – and we are still in the early stages of our journey to become the progressive, impact-focused grantmaker that we aspire to be. You can read more about this on our website.
We are looking to recruit an exceptional Finance Manager to run and continually control and improve our Finance function.
The Finance Manager role will be the main finance contact in the organisation and would report to the Director of Finance and Resources. Although there is no immediate requirement for the management of staff, it is possible the role may grow to incorporate supervision of other areas.
The coronavirus context has presented unprecedented challenges for charities, both in the short-term - with the need to respond and adapt at pace – and in the medium to long-term - with the need to ensure we can maintain our activity and see a route through to a sustainable and successful future – which we believe we can.
In a small organisation it is imperative you can work strategically and collaboratively with your colleagues. You will need to be comfortable working in an ambitious organisation with high standards that is still evolving and changing at speed. The role demands a great blend of skills, along with the belief that every blind and partially sighted Londoner should be able to lead their life to the full.
As an equal opportunities employer, the Vision Foundation welcomes applicants from all backgrounds irrespective of race, religion, belief, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Are you up up for this distinctive challenge? If so, we would love to hear from you.
ROLE AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
You will be an experienced finance professional willing and able to be hands on with a good eye for detail, as is necessary in a small organisation, alongside working strategically with the leadership team. You will be used to balancing numerous demands and deadlines, and be committed to ensuring the finance function works effectively across the charity.
Director of Finance & Resources
None at present although responsibilities may change in line with organisational growth and priorities.
Working Hours and Contract
This is a permanent role. Depending on experience, we will consider flexible arrangements including part time, flexible hours, and some home working beyond the current pandemic arrangements.
£35,000-£40,000 pa (depending on experience)
Central London, home working currently (April 2021)
Be an effective financial partner to the business, ensuring:
- accurate, timely and informative monthly management accounts
- regular cash flow forecasts
- accurate balance sheet and banking reconciliations
- efficient and effective financial control systems
- effective support for the annual budgeting and reforecasting processes
- budgets to support new initiatives and bids, including analysis of unit costs
- project management of financial projects
- accurate records of all income, enabling accurate and timely financial reports for funders, particularly on the use of restricted income
- financial oversight of grants payments, including allocations and phasing
- support for the Gift Aid claims process and other tax requirements
- useful reporting and effective training for internal teams such as fundraising and retail
- general financial administration and working with financial systems
- Support the audit process in line with SORP requirements and the preparation of the statutory accounts
- Ensure a cost-conscious and value-for-money organisational culture, reviewing functions and processes to ensure organisational needs are met.
- Work with the grant making team to undertake financial due diligence on grant applicants.
- Support the development and embedding of the risk management framework and incident reporting across the organisation and all stakeholders
- Ensure financial and contractual processes are based on clear policies and procedures, keeping them under review.
- Work with the Director of Finance & Resources to support the organisation’s objectives and strategic plans.
- Support the regulatory requirements of statutory bodies regarding the organisation’s financial affairs
- Support financial negotiations with our suppliers particularly with regards to facilities and premises, working closely with the director of retail
- Support relationships with external stakeholders (banks, lawyers, tax advisors) to access specialist knowledge and advice
- Support treasury management (e.g. management of bank accounts), and investment strategy
The role description is a general outline of duties and responsibilities and may be amended as the Vision Foundation develops. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time.
Knowledge and skills
- Experience of producing and managing budgets with diverse income streams and expenditure.
- Experience of developing and managing finance systems and of implementing financial policies, processes and controls.
- Ability to lead on long-term financial planning and cost analysis that proactively contributes to the strategic direction of an organisation.
- Demonstrable motivation and negotiation skills, able to build personal credibility and successful relationships at all levels.
- Experience of project management and working with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to foster a culture of collaborative working with internal and external stakeholders.
- Degree-level education or equivalent.
- Part or fully qualified accountancy qualification desirable.
- Excellent attention to detail and intellectual rigour.
- Positive, dynamic, tenacious and flexible at all times.
- Solutions-focused and willing to roll-up sleeves in a small team.
- Adaptable to changing landscape and evolving organisation.
- Confident with the desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to translate complex financial data and communicate clearly to a range of audiences.
- Enjoy working at a fast pace, on own initiative to tight deadlines.
- ‘Can do’ attitude and a sense of humour.
- An understanding of and commitment to London’s blind and partially sighted people.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and a supporting statement by 5pm on Friday 7th May 2021.
Please include a CV and supporting statement.