About the opportunity
The Stroke Association want to make sure that as many as people as possible are able to access the support that their organisation can offer. Pre-referral supporters meet stroke survivors, their families and carers in hospital and care settings. They discuss the support available to people, and (if appropriate) gain consent for the hospital to refer them to the relevant Stroke Association service.
As a Pre-Referral Supporter you may be:
• Promoting their community support services, including local peer support groups, on hospital wards to patients, family members, carers and staff.
• Completing consent/referral forms with people and informing hospital staff who has given consent to be referred to the service.
• Dealing with basic questions from stroke survivors, (and their families) about the service and potentially promote My Stroke Guide as a recovery tool.
• Providing people on hospital wards (and their families) with leaflets, factsheets and any other relevant materials about available services.
About Stroke Association
Stroke Association is the UK's leading charity dedicated to conquering stroke, funding vital services and life-saving research.
They provide helplines and information on what stroke is, educating those who have suffered a stroke and their families and friends, helping people to understand what has happened whilst also providing support with daily living, through peer support groups and other valuable services.
What are they looking for?
• If you are an effective, enthusiastic communicator and listener are comfortable dealing with a range of different people then this could be a good role for you.
• To be an effective pre-referral supporter you will ideally need some experience of working in a healthcare setting either in a paid or voluntary capacity and feel comfortable in a hospital environment but this is not essential.
The role takes place on a weekly of fortnightly basis for 2 hours per week. Day is flexible visiting hours between 12pm-4pm. DBS and references will be required.