About the role
We are looking for a resilient, ambitious fundraising professional to play a crucial role in the next stage of WSUP’s organisational development. They will provide energetic, visible and inspiring leadership to enable WSUP to deliver its current Business Plan, 2020 – 2025.
This role will play a critical part in WSUP’s growth and achievement of its overall objectives, driving our fundraising efforts to support our mission of increasing universal coverage of water and sanitation services in urban areas around the world. The Head of Funding is a senior member of the Partnerships & Communications team, coordinating all fundraising within a broader strategic environment of partnerships engagement. The role will work closely with the CEO, Senior Management Team and country team management to implement an annual global fundraising plan, manage and develop a portfolio of existing partnerships, identify and secure new funders and seek new and innovative income streams for the organisation.
The Head of Funding will lead on the implementation of an integrated multi-segment fundraising plan, evaluate results and learning points. The post holder will play a key role in supporting a team of fundraisers with the management of existing partnerships while also leading on the development of a strong funding pipeline to ensure sustainable growth of the organisation.
The post holder will monitor and report the organisation’s fundraising income and pipeline, highlighting opportunities and risks related to funding, and ensuring that funding aligns with the priorities established in the organisation’s Business Plan 2020-2025.
We are looking for an individual who is comfortable operating at both strategic and operational levels, and in particular is comfortable to provide very practical support to fundraisers on the management of existing partnerships and outreach to potential new funders.
A successful candidate should be excited by the ideas of co-creation with potential funders to create long term sustainable solutions, including the development of financially viable business models. Raising unrestricted funds to support organisational growth will be a key focus.
Successful operational and leadership experience, a structured and organised approach and strong attention to detail is essential as is a strong passion for international development. In addition, we are looking for a candidate who is experienced at navigating internal change, identifying barriers and collaborating with colleagues to find solutions, with a recognition of the complexities and challenges of implementing organisational change.
This senior role will be based at WSUP’s Secretariat in London.
Main responsibilities & tasks
Implementation of fundraising plan
- Lead on the operational implementation of the fundraising plan, working with stakeholders to ensure robust systems and reporting mechanisms are in place for all partnership activities.
- Work closely with the CEO and on occasions Board of Directors to develop, implement and strengthen fundraising initiatives.
Income Generation, Proposal Development & Client Relationship Management
- Ensure the continued development and effective stewardship of WSUP’s relationships with funders, and their networks to maximise funding potential.
- Continue to grow WSUP’s income to meet WSUP’s ambitious business plan targets, including through the identification of and creation of opportunities with new funders
- Coordinate the quality and timely delivery of funding proposals, compliance and funder reports to ensure innovative, bespoke, winning proposals, stewardship and cultivation.
- Work closely with the Head of Partnerships & Communications to raise the profile of WSUP and our partnerships to increase fundraising and raise credibility in new funding segments.
- Work closely with the Director of Programmes, Head of Evaluation, Research & Learning (ERL), members of the Innovation & Consumer Needs (ICON) team and Country Programme Managers to ensure integration of organisation-wide objectives into broader proposals for potential funders.
- Work with colleagues in communications, research and other relevant stakeholders to co-ordinate a series of engaging events that maximise brand positioning and revenue generation.
Leadership and Management
- Lead, motivate, support, coach and develop the Partnership Managers to ensure a consistent and coordinated fundraising approach as well as building a high-performance team, celebrating success and ensuring appropriate staff recognition.
- Encourage an entrepreneurial spirit, with a collective ambition to meet and exceed ambitious targets.
- Provide leadership and direction across the spectrum of fundraising segments: institutions, trusts and foundations, major gifts and corporates.
- Support and guide others outside of Partnerships & Communications to contribute to fundraising
Database & Research
- Ensure systems are in place to enable the systematic recording and tracking of supporter information across the organisation and prepare reports to facilitate analysis of data relating to all aspects of funding activity, helping drive revenue growth and diversification.
- Lead on the development of a strong and continuous pipeline of potential supporters via our Podio supported CRM system.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of relevant regulation (including GDPR regulations) and ensure adherence to legal requirements.
Budgets and Financial Management
- Monitor and evaluate income against budget as well as other agreed KPIs; report on variances and implement appropriate contingency plans to ensure targets and KPIs are achieved. Produce regular reports and analysis on fundraising income in coordination with the Finance team.
- Oversee financial projections and budgets needed for funding proposals and reports.
- Ensure best practice and policy adherence with WSUP’s procurement policies.