WSUP is a not-for-profit company that helps transform cities to benefit the millions who lack access to water and sanitation. We were created in 2005 as a response to the urban explosion that has left many cities unable to provide basic services, such as access to a toilet or drinking water, to low-income communities.
We work in seven countries in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, supported by an office in the UK. Since inception we have helped over 29 million people access better water and sanitation services.
About the role
This is a great opportunity to be part of a dynamic organisation with the scope to make a significant contribution to the entrepreneurial and innovative culture of WSUP.
Please note we will schedule interviews as the applications come in.
For the full job description and how to apply for this position, click on the link below.
Please note: This job is based in London, UK. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK at the time of application. Please do not apply if this is not the case.
Located in the Finance Team, the Senior Management Accountant plays a key role in Secretariat “downstream” contract management responsibilities, working in close partnership with the Partnerships and Communications Team and Global Programmes Teams, and is a key member of the inter-departmental “Project Task Force”.
The role is responsible for management of WSUP’s portfolio of restricted funds, for meeting all WSUP’s funders’ financial reporting requirements and audits in accordance with funder contracts and compliance rules, for providing technical support in budget preparation to maximise cost recovery within WSUP’s cost recovery model, coordination of WSUP staff time planning, aligning resources to funder and organisational budgets, and supporting good project financial management.
You will play a senior role in the Finance team, contributing to the group’s budget setting processes, monthly management accounting, year-end accounting and audit, development of systems and processes, acting as finance business partner, and deputising for the Director of Finance as required.
WSUP’s accounting software is Sun Systems v6 (Infor10) with an Excel add-in called Infor Query & Analysis (previously Vision Q&A) used for uploading data into the ledger and for reporting. Training can be provided on both Sun and Infor Q&A. WSUP’s purchase ledger functions are operated on Sun through the IPOS commitment management and authorisation software.
Excel spreadsheets, often employing advanced functions, are used extensively to produce project budgets, forecasts and monthly reports. Payroll is outsourced. All staff complete timesheets. Data from the payroll and timesheets is used to post staff time to funds in Sun on a monthly basis.
Country Programme finances are organised as follows:
Branch office registration:
- a local bank account is usually maintained;
- local country programme staff are employed directly by WSUP and paid from the local account;
- local office running costs, including contractual payments to local suppliers, consultants and in-local WSUP Members are paid through the local bank account.
No local registration:
- local WSUP staff are usually employed either through a hosting arrangement;
- Contractual payments to local suppliers, consultants and WSUP Members are paid by the WSUP UK Finance Team.
In both instances, WSUP UK may have direct contracts with consultants, contractors and suppliers in the UK or internationally and these are paid direct from the UK.
Qualification and experience
- Qualification: fully qualified accountant (CCAB or equivalent).
- Relevant experience: demonstrable experience of operating at a senior level with experience of preparing funder reports (A+I).
- Accounting principles: Good understanding of fundamental accounting principles and able to apply them in practice (A+I).
- Budgets: Extensive experience of managing, setting and monitoring budgets, creating reports and analysing financial information.
- Computerised Financial systems: Extensive experience of working in a computerised accounting environment, uploading/downloading data and producing reports from Sun, IPOS and Infor Q&A (A).
- Excel: Advanced Excel reporting skills, including experience of using complex formulae and functions (T).
- IT specialist: Good understanding of IT systems and processes, including Microsoft software.
- International context: Good understanding of accounting in a foreign exchange environment (A, I).
- Management accounting: Extensive experience of the production and presentation of management accounts (I).
- Funder reports: Extensive experience of managing and reporting funder grants, e.g. USAID, EU or FCDO (A+I).
- Other experience: Preparation of Accounting Policies and Procedures (A+I).
Skills and abilities
- Team management: Good team player (A, I).
- Planning and time management: Meticulous attention to detail whilst meeting deadlines (A+I).
- Problem solving: Ability to resolve problems and issues (A, I).
- Communication: Ability to communicate financial matters clearly to a range of different audiences, including non-finance specialists (A+I).
- Influencing: Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external partners at all levels (A+I).
- Passionate about WSUP aims and ethos: Commitment to the vision and values of Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor (A+I).
- Continuous learning: Willing to share learning and build the skills of others (A, I).
- Team player: A team player willing to assist other members of the team when necessary (A+I).
- Resilience: Resilient (I) and Self-starter, able to act on own initiative (I, A).
- Fluent English speaker with very good written communication skills.
Qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills
- Accounting experience in the charity or not-for-profit sector (A).
- Working with international projects and staff in overseas offices.
- Experience of grant agreements and contract terms.
- Line management experience.
- Ability to speak and read French, Portuguese or Bangla would be an advantage (A)
- Ability to perform any additional tasks as reasonably requested by the Director of Finance.