Want to use your safeguarding expertise to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere?
Join WaterAid as Global Head of Safeguarding to change normal for millions of people so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good. On top of that you'll be joining a 2020 Great Place to Work® award-winning organisation.
The WaterAid Global Safeguarding Team have an international remit for safeguarding across the WaterAid Federation which includes our member offices in Australia, America, Canada, India, Japan and the UK and our programmes in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, and the Americas. The team, together with a network of safeguarding focal points, work to ensure that high standards of safeguarding are fully imbedded in all that WaterAid does as an organisation. Whether that's protecting staff, working with volunteers, or working in partnership with our many partners to empower and protect those in the communities where we work from harm.
As our Global Head of Safeguarding you will oversee all areas and elements of safeguarding and PSEAH (Preventing Sexual Exploitation Abuse and Harassment). Whilst ensuring our policies, training, investigations and reporting procedures are sector leading, you will have the exciting opportunity to design and drive forwards WaterAid's new three-year safeguarding strategy.
WaterAid has zero tolerance approach towards inaction in regard to any form of abuse or harassment, and as our Global Head of Safeguarding you will work with senior leaders and Boards across the WaterAid Federation to foster a strong positive safeguarding culture which maintains this approach.
This role is being offered as a fixed term 12-month contract (maternity cover), with flexibility in working hours (full time/part time) and remote working as an option. While employment is preferred the role could also be undertaken on a consultancy basis by the right candidate.
To see the full job pack, please click 'Apply'. Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter into one document in either Word Document or PDF format. Applications will close 23:59 on 17/10/2021. Availability for interview is required w/c 25/10/2021.
You will provide expert safeguarding advice, guidance and leadership as well as maintaining the Global Safeguarding Standards for the WaterAid federation supporting, monitoring and holding members to account.
* Lead on developing a new three-year safeguarding strategy for the WaterAid federation that delivers our organisational commitments to safeguarding, with a focus on ensuring it meets the needs of the new Global WaterAid strategy.
* Provide leadership, case supervision, and support to the Global Safeguarding Officer and additional team members as applies.
* Maintain an effective monitoring process to capture learning and amend policy, procedures and practices as a result.
* Oversee, and in some high-risk cases conduct, safeguarding investigations , ensuring an effective survivor centred approach is adopted.
* Partner with senior leaders i to ensure good safeguarding approaches are embedded within our programmes and partner organisations, and effectively reach a community level.
* Manage safeguarding projects as appropriate including a new case management system.
* Continue to work with, and when the opportunity arises, partner with others in the INGO sector to fulfil WaterAid's commitment to contribute to the further development of sector safeguarding standards and accountability. This may include sitting on sector working groups.
We are looking for an engaging and experienced Head of Safeguarding with extensive experience of leading on and, working with, protection, safeguarding and accountability standards across a global organisation.
To be successful, you'll need:
* A proven track-record of implementing safeguarding strategy, policy, practice and developing a safe and trusted organisation culture.
* Technical knowledge and understanding of safeguarding and protection principles and standards in an international context including a proven track record of conducting safeguarding investigations in an international setting.
* An ability to work strategically across multi-cultural teams: with the ability to build rapport and communicate effectively across multiple country contexts.
Salary: Circa £60,000 with excellent benefits. WaterAid benefits include:
* 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
* Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
* We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
* Wide range of flexible and agile-working arrangements
* Season Ticket Loan
* Free annual eye tests
* Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
* Enhanced Maternity and Adoption/Surrogacy pay, Shared Parental Leave and Paternity Leave.
* Volunteer Day
WaterAid is currently located at Canary Wharf, London and this will be your location and contract base. Due to current restrictions on office capacity the majority of our staff are working from home. All aspects of this, including how we are supporting homeworking and the office transition, will be discussed at the interview stage with you.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us.