Lead Child Support Worker
Welwyn Hatfield Hertfordshire
If you have a background in supporting children or young people who’ve experienced domestic violence, this is a great opportunity to join a forward-thinking charity that is changing lives.
Welwyn Hatfield Women's Refuge and Support Services (WHWR) is a vital resource for women and families in Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield, offering a safe haven away from domestic violence and abuse.
We provide accommodation to women and children for up to four months at a time to enable a break from their situation or to allow them to start building a new life away from an abusive or violent relationship or home environment.
More than a third of the residents in our refuge are children, the majority of whom are of pre-school age. Our brilliant Child Support Workers help the children to rebuild their lives by supporting them to process their thoughts and feelings. They also support mothers to communicate effectively with their children and re-establish their bond following abuse.
We’re looking for a Lead Child Support Worker to lead our team of Child Support Workers, working 30 hours per week. This is a 12 month contract that has the potential to become a permanent position.
- Salary of £28,672 per annum
- Benefits package
- Welcoming and supportive work environment
- Make a positive difference to women’s lives on a daily basis
This is a fantastic opportunity to lead a hard-working team who are making a real difference by supporting children and young people who have experienced some incredibly challenging situations.
You will have the chance to make our refuge feel more like a home to our young residents while giving them the freedom and support to voice their feelings in a healthy way.
So, if you are eager to bring about positive change and have the expertise to support these children during such a challenging point in their lives, we want to hear from you.
As the Lead Child Support Worker, you will deliver a child-focused preventative and recovery support service for children who have experienced domestic abuse.
We believe that children and young people should be allowed to learn, play and act their age, so a key focus of your role will ensure that their play needs are met. This will include co-ordinating and running play sessions, celebrations, trips and outings.
Additionally, you will:
- Manage the Child Support Workers, students and volunteers who work with the children
- Oversee the day-to-day running of the children’s space
- Work directly with children to voice their anger, dissent, grief and loss
- Liaise with other agencies to raise awareness of the needs and concerns of children who have experienced domestic violence
- Raise any safeguarding concerns with the Operations Manager
- Help to identify fundraising opportunities for the children’s space
- Participate in the 24/7 on call rota for the refuge
To join us as a Lead Child Support Worker, you will need:
- Experience of working with children and/or young people who have experienced domestic violence or family trauma
- An understanding of the issues facing women and children who have been victims of domestic violence (physical, emotional and sexual abuse)
- An understanding of child growth and development
- Knowledge of basic first aid procedures and the ability to recognise symptoms of illnesses common among children
- The ability to produce clear, accurate written work, such as letters, reports and records
- At a minimum, a Level 3 childcare qualification or equivalent
Please note: only female applicants will be progressed as being female is deemed to be a genuine occupational requirement under Schedule 9, Paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010.
Other organisations may call this role Lead Children’s Support Worker, Lead Young Person’s Support Worker, Domestic Abuse Support Worker, Children’s Support Worker, Young People’s Support Worker, or Senior Support Worker.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received and will close this vacancy once we receive a sufficient response. As such, we advise candidates to submit their application as soon as possible to ensure they are considered.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.