35 hours per week (possibility of part-time/ flexible)
Wheels for Wellbeing is the only inclusive cycling organisation run by and for Disabled cyclists. We have been supporting Disabled people to discover cycling for leisure, health improvement and transport since 2007. We work tirelessly at local, regional and national level to spread our unique understanding of the barriers and solutions to accessing active travel. Our approach is optimistic, dynamic and flexible, supporting others to ensure that cycling services, infrastructure and facilities are attractive and accessible to Disabled people, older cyclists, people cycling with children, cargo cyclists etc.
All our work stems from the diverse lived experience of our members, trustees, staff & volunteers. Difference is what makes us who we are and what makes us strong. It is what others value in our approach. We trust and hope you will bring yet new perspectives. Wheels for Wellbeing recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome job applications for people of all backgrounds.
About the role
This senior role will lead Wheels for Wellbeing’s policy and campaigns brief, working closely with our Director, Campaigns & Policy Officer, Trustees and ambassadors to make the most of opportunities to make lasting change in the UK for Disabled people. You will ensure that the voice of Disabled people who wheel and cycle is heard loud and clear, in particular by the Department for Transport’s Active Travel team and the new Active Travel England as they implement the Government’s Gear Change plan.
- Lead the campaigning work of Wheels for Wellbeing to ensure the systemic barriers to Disabled people accessing cycling are understood and addressed at the national level.
- Increase co-operation and partnerships across the expert inclusive/accessible cycling sector to grow capacity for lobbying, consultation and engagement.
- Ensure the dissemination of WfW’s existing expert knowledge so that the Department for Transport’s Gear Change investment fully benefits Disabled people.
- Ensure WfW supports increasing numbers of Disabled people and Disability organisations to positively influence Active Travel.
- Participate positively in the running and development of Wheels for Wellbeing.
If you are a politically astute big-picture thinker and have experience in a Policy and/or Campaigning role; if you have personal experience of Disability and/or of working in the Disability sector, then please have a look through the application pack, available on our website via the Apply button, and consider applying!
Closing date: May 4th 2021