Wilton Park, the globally renowned centre for strategic dialogue, is recruiting Programme Directors to establish, facilitate and host policy dialogues.
An Executive Agency of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Wilton Park is currently running circa 70 policy dialogues a year, bringing together leading figures from around the world to discuss a wide range of critical and sensitive international issues in a neutral environment.
You will bring expertise, experience and a rich network in climate change, energy and the environment. You will have experience of facilitating policy discussions, fund-raising, partnership development and stakeholder management.
This role is based at our home in West Sussex but flexible location options can be considered.
For full details of this role and how to apply please visit our website.
Purpose of the post
To identify, develop and deliver international policy events that enable Wilton Park to continue to lead discussions on global policy, with a focus on climate change, energy and the environment. This will contribute to and support British strategic foreign policy objectives by convening opinion formers and policy makers from around the world to address and resolve issues of critical importance to global security and prosperity.
Key functions and responsibilities
- Identify, develop and deliver at least eight Wilton Park events (in the UK and overseas as required) achieving an annual financial target to be agreed each financial year
- Working with colleagues across government, play a lead role in developing and delivering Wilton Park’s portfolio of work in support of the joint UK-Italian Presidency of the COP26 negotiations in November 2020
- Work with Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) officials, colleagues from other UK and international government departments, partners in national and international organisations and the corporate sector to identify and develop topical, timely and policy relevant events; contribute also to strategic thinking on themes in a collegial way with Chief Executive (CE), other Programme Directors, Business Development Manager and the wider policy team
- Design policy and outcome focused programmes for events in collaboration with partners and manage ongoing programme evolution; identify and engage with potential speakers and participants to ensure a high-quality event which meets objectives, delivers outcomes for partners and achieves citizenship, gender and multidisciplinary participation as required
- Convene and chair Wilton Park discussions and events in a neutral fashion to ensure that all participants and speakers have an opportunity to engage in meaningful, discreet and constructive dialogue using appropriate, relevant and outcome focused facilitation techniques; ensure issuance of a short report that captures key findings and policy recommendations post-event
- Identify and pursue revenue generating and partnership opportunities to meet your financial income target with the support of the wider policy team
- Develop and maintain stakeholder relationships with key partnerships and networks; establish and agree on desired objectives for each partnership; plan and measure outcomes
- Work with Project Managers (PMs) and the event Delivery Team to ensure effective and efficient management of event administration, including regular planning meetings
- Financial oversight for event budgets, working in collaboration with PMs to ensure the monitoring of income and expenditure throughout event life and accountability for financial outcomes
- Plan, agree and assist with implementation of digital and traditional media for each event’s communications strategy
- Monitor, evaluate, understand and report transparently on outcomes and impacts to partners and sponsors to ensure aims and objectives are met within prescribed timelines; apply lessons learned and outputs to inform future quality events
- Comply with Wilton Park’s standard operating procedures and database requirements to centrally set timelines and deadlines
- Comply with local health and safety requirements
- Carry out other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time
- Holds a degree in a relevant field and/or relevant skills and knowledge
- Substantial professional experience and/or demonstrable academic credentials in one or more of the following fields:
- International climate diplomacy, including the UNFCCC mechanisms and negotiation streams
- Energy policy – especially renewable energy
- Private finance, including capital markets and impact investments
- Multilateral development institutions – especially those for climate finance and environmental governance
- Climate adaptation, risk and resilience or disaster risk reduction
- Experience of working on current affairs including international issues
- Excellent self-organisation skills and track record of professional success
- Fundraising and financial management experience
- Significant people management skills with proven experience of leading a large team
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Ability to balance a demanding and varied workload, meet targets, work to tight deadlines and manage time effectively
- Experience of using digital and traditional media in support of communications campaigns and strategy
- Reporting on outcomes and impacts to partners and sponsors
- Facilitating, convening and chairing discussions and conferences
- Management of conference organisation and administration
- Master’s degree or equivalent
- Familiarity with the institutions of international climate governance and climate finance
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.