WMUK is the only charity in the UK focused solely on Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinaemia (WM), a rare type of blood cancer. It is a slow growing, incurable cancer with its own distinct characteristics that require specialist treatment and care in centres of expertise. Around 400 people are diagnosed each year in the UK, with around 4000 people living with WM.
WMUK is a small, agile and ambitious organisation. We are looking for a new CEO to lead us through the next phase of our development. You will have the experience and energy to lead the delivery of WMUK’s five-year strategy and our plans for the future. Supported by an engaged Board of trustees, you will have the opportunity to develop new areas of work, help establish exciting new programmes, and ultimately make a real impact for our WM community.
We are seeking a confident, dynamic and engaging individual with excellent communication skills and presence to provide highly effective and inspiring leadership.
An understanding of and empathy with health issues would be an advantage as well the ability to lead technological change through digital technology and social media.
The post holder will be articulate and influential and be proficient at presenting to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders and partners.
The role is perfect for an experienced CEO within the charitable sector who is seeking a new challenge, or someone with senior level experience in a relevant environment who is looking to step into their first CEO role.
- Overall responsibility and accountability for WMUK aims, strategy and business plans, resourcing, organisation and operational planning and delivery of performance management.
- Delegate to, support and empower the team in delivery of their work.
- Identify and lead on strategic relationships with key stakeholders implicated in the success of WMUK’s plans in order to drive and support business objectives.
- Design, implement, and lead on transformational strategic initiatives and projects, in particular research and policy.
- Be the external face of the organisation, champion and effectively implement the WMUK brand, profile and messaging, and play a key role in positioning WMUK as a leading authoritative voice on WM and rare diseases generally.
- Actively seek election to and effectively represent WMUK on relevant highlevel committees and task-forces aligned to business objectives.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit support from and steward philanthropic and high-level donors.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate:
Knowledge and experience
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience at Director/CEO level or equivalent
- Working effectively with a Board of trustees
- Leading across different disciplines, teams and projects.
- Knowledge and experience of the medical, research and associated academic environment.
- Knowledge and experience of the policy environment and the NHS, particularly in relation to medicines regulators.
- Successful experience of influencing and developing partnerships with a range of senior external stakeholders.
- In-depth understanding of fundraising, including Trusts, major donors and community fundraising.
- Detailed understanding of charity finances and the legal and constitutional responsibilities of a not-for-profit organisation.
- Good knowledge of developing and maintaining robust governance.
Skills and abilities
- Capacity to lead, inspire and motivate high performing teams.
- Engagement skills, including the ability to persuade and influence, build high value partnerships, and act as an ambassador for WMUK.
- Experience of developing and leading the implementation and delivery of a mid to long-term strategic plan.
- Excellent financial acumen and skills including the preparation and control of budgets, and a proven record of driving financial and operational growth.
Personal style and behaviours
- Excellent team player with a collaborative leadership style.
- Self-starter with energy, initiative and enthusiasm.
- Diplomatic style with a personal demeanour that instils trust and confidence quickly.
- Collaborative and participative leadership style.
- Confident, resilient and forward-thinking.
- Committed to putting people affected by WM at the heart of our organisational strategy.
The above is provided for guidance, is not contractual or an exhaustive list of all accountabilities that the post holder may have. The role may be changed in line with the requirements of WMUK at any time after discussions with the post holder.
Please submit your CV, along with a written application explaining how you meet the requirements of the role
Please apply as soon as possible as we will be arranging to meet potential
candidates at the earliest opportunity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.